Sign in to follow this  

TC450 Running Poorly

Hey guys I have a 06 TC450 that will not stay running. I have to throttle it to keep it idling unless choked. When it stalls it make a loud crack (like a backfire). Any ideas what this thing needs? Besides a mechanic :)

Sounds like lean pilot or clogged pilot......what elevation are you at and what jetting is in bike......

new fuels can go gummy in less than 3 weeks,,,clean the carb & jets well.

arizona desert...would the backfire be coming from the need to rejet? maybe a good cleaning of the carb uh?

While you are in there, install a JD jet kit, the best $70 you can spend on a FCR carbed bike. Most bang for the buck for sure. Expect easier starting, better response and great support for tuning it in altitude or temp changes. Add a Scotts adjustable fuel screw too, the carb is very tunable but that screw allows track/trailside adjustments easily. Once you learn to use it you wonder how you did without it.

i would get a vent filter from uptite , the FCR's suck a lot of dust in via the vent hoses. take it apart, clean and reassemble. I would skip the jd kit and get a factory R needle. better quality finish on the needle. you will want a 60-70 leak jet and start about a 4.2 to 4.5 on the pilot .. :):D

At 95 hours of MX my 06 TC450 is still in valve spec after setting them in loose spec at new/break in. If you are calling George at uptite anyway,,, the cooling hose "Y" is a good idea along with the vent filter. As for jetting, do what you are comfortable with, the "against" camp is usually also in the "never tried it" group. I've found the JD needles are unmatched by any stocker and can be fine tuned far better. I am jetting picky, others can ride em stock?!?! The bike is far better when dialed in with brass & a leak jet, regardless of the path you choose. Write back when you finish with results.

jjm525.....did you replace leak jet with JD leak as well...just put kit in and forgot to do leak jet.....any difference

Yes, I ended up one or two needle clips leaner IIRC, exhaust insert and our fuels are pi$$ so even with the kit I experiment with my jetting. It is worth the 10 minutes to leak that AP, cleans up the bottom and lets the fuel screw make tangible adjustments. It made a nice increase in mTE and SMR in real world fuel economy too, the MXer was not measurable as it is track only. With the tagged bikes I can get near 60 MPG in regular street riding.

if fuel is fresh then i would check to make sure the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb has not fallen out.if gas is fresh,miture screw is in ,carb is clean then check valve adjustment.good luck to you.dan

Hey guys I have a 06 TC450 that will not stay running. I have to throttle it to keep it idling unless choked. When it stalls it make a loud crack (like a backfire). Any ideas what this thing needs? Besides a mechanic :)

I would also look at the intake to make sure it isn't cracked.

I would also look at the intake to make sure it isn't cracked.

Excellent point, very fragile piece, been thru one already.

sounds simple but I had the resistor in the spark plug cap crack and would fir different easy check, it happened to one of our 450's