Any info on KLX140.......

Just bought two 2009 KLX140L for my twin boys. Just curious

if anyone has any info I should know about for these bikes.

They seem like they will be pretty good bikes for the size.

Adjustable rear suspension, elect start, dual disc brakes etc

etc. The dealership only had one on the floor, so we will be

waiting about 4 weeks to pick them both up when the second

one comes in.

For those that seen the klx110s that we posted pics of with

the monster energy graphics.....well, they boys are already

asking if we can put new decals on the 140s. I am actually

calling back to the dealership tomorrow to see if I can get

one of the bikes as the black monster energy bike. I know

each dealership will only receive one, so I doubt I can get

it, but it never hurts to ask.

Anyway.....any info about these bikes would be appreciated.

?

Just bought two 2009 KLX140L for my twin boys. Just curious

if anyone has any info I should know about for these bikes.

They seem like they will be pretty good bikes for the size.

Adjustable rear suspension, elect start, dual disc brakes etc

etc. The dealership only had one on the floor, so we will be

waiting about 4 weeks to pick them both up when the second

one comes in.

For those that seen the klx110s that we posted pics of with

the monster energy graphics.....well, they boys are already

asking if we can put new decals on the 140s. I am actually

calling back to the dealership tomorrow to see if I can get

one of the bikes as the black monster energy bike. I know

each dealership will only receive one, so I doubt I can get

it, but it never hurts to ask.

Anyway.....any info about these bikes would be appreciated.

?

I have no clue at all?

the test on them that i read in dirt rider gave them good reviews, with power being there only set back compared to the crf150r,

a friend at the track said he rode one and he liked his crf150r better, but i like the kawi's, i cant wait to actually see one here up close and get a riders report on one, you will for sure have to keep me posted on how you like it, maint issues, repairs etc etc.

I have no clue at all?

the test on them that i read in dirt rider gave them good reviews, with power being there only set back compared to the crf150r,

a friend at the track said he rode one and he liked his crf150r better, but i like the kawi's, i cant wait to actually see one here up close and get a riders report on one, you will for sure have to keep me posted on how you like it, maint issues, repairs etc etc.

Definitely will keep everyone posted. I just liked the bike. I

personally ride a Yamaha. But the klx140 blows the ttr125

away. There is no comparrison in my opinion. And they were

only about 100 dollars difference in price.

Aluminum swingarm, Estart, dual disk brakes, adjustable

rear suspension, keyless button with easy access choke

knob, heavy duty pegs and shift lever. Just made the yami

look like a toy setting next to it.

Quite a few threads on the KLX140 here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=377

I bought a KLX140L for the wife and it has been a great trail bike so far. The stock suspension isn't what I would call mx track ready but can handle small jumps and such. Some have swapped out the front for KX100/85 forks.

Definately re-jet when you get it - they are so lean from the factory they are really hard to start if it is below 60 degrees out. Also open up the air box and put on a new exhaust for power.

There are only a couple of graphics out for the bike from what I've seen - no Monster. I'm watching the parts catalogs since the factory Monster graphics should fit the other models as well but so far its not there.

?

here is some cool news on them

Kawasaki adds a new dirtbike to its arsenal in the form of the all-new KLX140. Powered by an air-cooled 144cc four-stroke Single, this model was developed by the same Kawasaki motocross engineers that have made the vaunted KX models the kings of the AMA. Changes include improved engine mods to reduce vibes, improve fueling and increase fuel efficiency.

New riders and pit racing zealots come in many sizes and experience levels, so why limit them to simple one-sized machines? To help satisfy a wide range of riders in the off-road arena, this new model is available in two wheel sizes, the more elementary 17" front / 14" rear wheeled KLX140 and the larger 19" front / 16" rear wheeled KLX140L. The fun begins as soon as your thumb meets the KLX140's electric start button. The high-revving, yet quiet, engine is wrapped in a high-tensile steel perimeter frame while a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work complete the design theme.

The KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability, 4-way compression and 22-way rebound damping to suit high speed operation by heavier riders. To provide more options for growing riders, the KLX140 is also capable of accommodating more-advanced shock. Abundant power from the air-cooled SOHC 144cc engine flows through a 5-speed, close-ratio transmission that contributes to the KLX's accelerative performance. This isn't your little sister's play bike. An ideal combination of small stature and big potential that simply equals fun for most riders whether kid or adult, the new KLX140 promises to rewrite the playbike rules.

Our visitor's opinion:applause:

When Kawasaki decided to develop the ultimate playbike, it slapped together a development team of pro motocross riders, youth testers and the vital ingredient of Kawasaki's motocross engineers. The result is a high tech, high performance enduro bike that's versatile enough to appeal to a wide range of riders, young and old.

The 2008 Kawasaki KLX140, and the bigger wheeled KLX140L (17/14 vs. 19/16), is more than just your mama's mini. Kawasaki challenges playbike competitors with better ergonomics, more power, beefy front and rear disc brakes and suspension options, which are uncommon in entry level bikes.

The rolling hills of the Hungry Valley OHV and I-5 Motocross Track in Gorman, California, served as the stomping grounds for a fun day of test riding both versions of the KLX140. It doesn't take long to detect KX inspiration all over the design. With fatty footpegs, rubber-mounted handlebars and even KX-style grips, these mini enduros are attractive, inviting and completely addicting. It will easily turn anyone into a giddy, giggly 10-year-old, even if you actually bought it specifically for your kids.

The KLX has all of its controls along the handlebars. You won't find the nostalgic kickstart on the 140, only a push-button electric start and two accompanying on/off switches stand between you and a rollin' good time. Yes, there are two switches, a toggle engine kill switch and an ignition marked by an orange LED. When turning off the machine, the LED stays lit to remind you the electric power is on, but despite the orange glow it's still easy to forget to turn it off because another one is used to kill the engine. Even the choke is put right in front of your face. In a creative and convenient design, it's mounted next to the power button between the triple clamp and the number plate. You can't complain about that, it only makes life easier. It would still be nice to see a kickstart on the 140 though, if nothing else but for back up purposes. especially with so many buttons to remember - or forget as the case may be.

Electric start is supposed to be a convenience, but preparing the 140 for take-off is a bit of a chore all considered. Moving left-to-right across the handlebars, you flip the first switch on, push the LED lit power button, pull the choke and finally push the ignition button to fire up the engine. That's a pretty involved process, especially when you factor in the manual clutch, but there's no denying it does its job.

Most other bikes aimed at this level are gimping out with an engine displacement of under 125cc. Both 140 models are boasting a 144cc air cooled engine and a jaw-dropping redline of 10,500 rpm. The 4-stroke, SOHC engine has a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and a bore/stroke configuration of 58 x 54.4mm. The power boost is evident, especially on the open trails where there's ample room to test what's in the belly of the mini beast. Whether riding the track or railing the trail, the power is smooth and useable. For the pit bike zealots or the advancing rider, the steel cylinder makes boring out the engine a fun possibility. As it is the bike has plenty of midrange power. The bike ran the best for me in third and fourth gear where it was easiest to access that power with a smooth and reactive response.

The KLX engine is complimented by the bike's five-speed transmission, which is easily controlled by the cable-operated clutch. A spring damper in the clutch gives two stages of engagement, allowing for the use of half clutch through idling speeds. This allows for an easy learning curve for those getting used to the shifting aspect, which on this bike is super smooth and effortless. The close gear ratio helps the gears engage easily and instantaneously, all the while accelerating smoothly. When riding the bike in the hills, I found that it likes to be revved a bit, but don't be fooled by its shy voice. An added perk to the mini is an ultra-quiet spark arrestor, which is contoured to suit the compact physics of the KLX. The pipe has a plastic end cap which stays cool to the touch even after being revved and ridden for hours. Definitely a finger-saving feature for younger riders.

With any electric start setup, the weight of the machine becomes a concern, especially for entry-level bikes like the KLX. This little rock-stomper weighs in a bit dense for my taste at a claimed 198lbs dry, but the miniature ergonomic design distributes the weight surprisingly well. It weighs about 45 pounds more than the much smaller and weaker Yamaha TT-R110, but it's nearly 40 pounds less than the famed CRF150F.

Even for this 5'8," 115-pound tester, the 140 never felt heavy while riding. I washed out in a couple soft corners, but was able to pick the bike back up like it was nothing. The concise ergonomics are no fluke. Kawasaki deliberately designed the 140 to be stouter than some of its competitors, and the L model one-ups the standard 140. The differences between the two are substantial enough to make a noticeable difference. The 140L has an additional 0.8 inches of seat height and 1" of wheelbase thanks to its 19/16 tire combo (compared to 17/14).

The heart of the bike comes wrapped in a box-section steel perimeter frame. With bikes this size, the steel is economically more feasible, but Kawasaki helps make up for it by attaching a lightweight aluminum swingarm. The Excel aluminum rims help lighten the unsprung load and can be credited partly for the smooth handling. I rode this bike as hard as I could and was definitely pleased with its strength and durable feel through and through.

By Sequoyah Munroe

?

Check out the latest issue of Mini Rider (I think it is their last issue). They did some pretty cool mods to a 140 and it looks awesome. They did get Monster graphics on it. The issue is the September 2008.

thats the one i was looking for but i cant find it online ?

• 4 weeks later...

The KLX140 is a pretty good trail bike - I would take it over the CRF150F any day.

Although my wife's 150F is pretty good and near bulletproof, it's really heavy, only has a front disk, metal swingarm instead of aluminum, footpegs are offset (figure that one out?!?!), did I mention it's heavy???

Jam - anyone riding a 150R will definitely be picking the 150R - you cannot even compare the two bikes, like night and day. The R is a race bike, not a trail bike.

• 6 months later...

Luckystar64,

I purchased a KLX 140L for my duaghter. She's 5-7, 130 lbs. From the forum it looks like you're working on some items I'm interested in. You mentioned a person/company, PR2, who has your KLX regarding a rear shock for the bike with 2 and 1/2 inches of additional ride height, and 10 inches of travel. Where are these guys out of? Also, what is the original riding height for the 140L. Last question is what is the cost for this mod and how to I reach them. Thanks

I have since scrapped the 140 project. Fox wasn't cooperating with the Podium shock for the 140. PR2 has a pretty good jump on it, but without a cap from Fox, it can't happen.

Contact Chris Durham about it. If they can get a shock worked out, I'd go out and get another 140 myself. ---L*64

Hubby bought me an '08 KLX140L for my birthday this past January & I absolutely love it. I haven't gotten to ride it much due to the weather & knee injury but I so cannot wait to get it on the trails in a couple more weeks. It is a much more comfortable bike for me than the TTR125 I had.

Congrats to your boys.

:banghead:?

I've started looking around for the next step up for my boy & for now it's looking like a CRF100, TTR125, or a KLX140 since these are still for sale, and he's not ready for anything MX oriented. The KLX sure looks like it has a lot of potential without being totally scary overwhelming for him. Any updates on how you like the bike?

• 9 months later...

I bought a 09 KLX140L for the wife. It's jetted way lean and hard to start cold. a 40 pilot and 100 main helped and seems to be a good fit for a stocker at 500 ft elev. Looking to put some TAG bars and Cycra Probends on it now. I'm impressed with the low rpm pull and smooth ride. I bought this bike over a TTR125L because of the upgrades and build quality. Glad to pay extra for it.