Sign in to follow this  

jb weld on a rim

I have two small cracks on each side of my front rim on my cr125.The cracks are from the edge i would say about 1/2 in in ward right across from one other can i use some jb weld ?

JB Weld isnt going to do a damn thing.

You can try temporarily fixing it by having it welded, but the only permanent fix is a new rim.

If you weld it look for it to crack after the first jump or the first hour which evers first. New rim

Just found that the back rim is welded is holding up good.Will the front rim off 87 xr250r fit on my 88 cr125 ?

Just replace the rim. Welding wil only make another spot weeker. Jb Weld is not a fix for the rim as it is under pressure all the time when you riding it. It will eventually crack and fall off.

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack and have it welded. The hole will keep the crack from spreading. Still only a temp. fix.

I would not want to risk riding on a cracked rim....it would suck bad to have it fail while going 4th tapped....

All the CR's from that era (80's) had rims that would split at the seam.

If its just splitting on the edges dont worry about it...... wait untill the center starts to split before you do anything (spend $$ on new rim).

I had abunch of mid to late 80's CRs and they all do this.

I'm not sure, but the XR rim might fit..... the speedo drive might be in the way though? ...... I bet it'll work.

Just found that the back rim is welded is holding up good.Will the front rim off 87 xr250r fit on my 88 cr125 ?
The rim should, whole wheel wont though.

Here are a couple of pics just going to try to stay on drylake bed but either way if it breaks i hope tire holds it until i can stop.The cracks stop were the black dots are

HPIM1105.jpg

HPIM1103.jpg

HPIM1104.jpg

The seam where the rim was welded together is breaking. Its time for a new rim.

Think about it this way. What are you going to do when it does break? Why not just do that now rather than running the risk of adding hospital bills to final cost?

Don't mix up the terms "rim" and "wheel". The rim is ONLY the outer hoop, not inclusive of the hub, spokes, etc. Buy a new rim and spoke set and lace it to your hub. That's the best thing to do. Period. I laced up my first set of rims this spring and it was easy and gratifying.

If you buy a used rim from the same era off ebay, it'll likely be in the same shape or worse.

Welding is a temproary fix and only as good as the welder. To have a good welder do it correctly is still only going to be a temporary band-aid fix.

I won't even respond to the JB Weld question...stuff works wonders, but I wouldn't even consider using it for this. :)

I bought one off ebay yesterday i got the hole thing rim hub spokes for $30 the guy says real good condition only scratches.I hope its o.k i cant wait to start riding the bike the rim should be here monday.I think i will be happer and safer listening to everybody here thank you guys you guy just saved me a trip to the hospital lol.