jb weld on a rim

All the CR's from that era (80's) had rims that would split at the seam.

If its just splitting on the edges dont worry about it...... wait untill the center starts to split before you do anything (spend $$ on new rim).

I had abunch of mid to late 80's CRs and they all do this.

I'm not sure, but the XR rim might fit..... the speedo drive might be in the way though? ...... I bet it'll work.

Don't mix up the terms "rim" and "wheel". The rim is ONLY the outer hoop, not inclusive of the hub, spokes, etc. Buy a new rim and spoke set and lace it to your hub. That's the best thing to do. Period. I laced up my first set of rims this spring and it was easy and gratifying.

If you buy a used rim from the same era off ebay, it'll likely be in the same shape or worse.

Welding is a temproary fix and only as good as the welder. To have a good welder do it correctly is still only going to be a temporary band-aid fix.

I won't even respond to the JB Weld question...stuff works wonders, but I wouldn't even consider using it for this. ?

I bought one off ebay yesterday i got the hole thing rim hub spokes for $30 the guy says real good condition only scratches.I hope its o.k i cant wait to start riding the bike the rim should be here monday.I think i will be happer and safer listening to everybody here thank you guys you guy just saved me a trip to the hospital lol.