Sign in to follow this  

strapped down too long?

I am thinking about going riding after work Thursday at Peris since my work is sending me to work in San Bernadino. Is it bad to have your bike strapped down for that long (12hrs)

am i asking for blown fork seals?

If your worried about it, loosen the straps just enough to hold the bike up right, while your working.

But no I don't think it would hurt a thing....

This is kinda what I was thinking, i just need to remind myself to tighten them back up when i get on the road.

next prob is having the bike out in the open in San Bernadino for 8+ hours... =O

i might have to get some sort of lock... ha

LOCK the bike! To something heavy, like your truck, then chain the truck to a lightpole or building, you should be fine.

dont they make a thing that goes in between the tire and fender that doesnt allow the forks to compress while there being tightned down.

Strap your bike to the stand. Have a strap on the back tire and on the bars. Works for me :)

You should just grab some fork supports and forget about it for good.

dont they make a thing that goes in between the tire and fender that doesnt allow the forks to compress while there being tightned down.

Its called a fork saver and is usally about 15 bucks. It takes the strain off the fork seals. I have used an appropriate length of 2X4 in a pinch though.:)

do you ride a 4 stroke?

Chances are when you turn the motor off, some of the valves are being held

open (springs compressed).

when I have bikes tied down and the truck will be parked for an extended period of time I will loosen them some.

do you ride a 4 stroke?

Chances are when you turn the motor off, some of the valves are being held

open (springs compressed).

when I have bikes tied down and the truck will be parked for an extended period of time I will loosen them some.

you mean put it at TDC?

Ive been thinking of making something instead of straps and would keep the forks from being compressed. I made a prototype and it works great i just dont have the 10,000 to patent it...

randy..

u shouldnt have a problem with leaving your bike tied down for that long.. and damn.. i wish i would of known you were heading to perris.. i would of met you their... been wanting to ride that damn place..

Strap your bike to the stand. Have a strap on the back tire and on the bars. Works for me :)

wow thats a good idea:thumbsup:

If you have air bleed valves on your forks, you can open those to release pressure, and then you can bottom your forks out for a year and the seals won't care. It took about two months of leaving mine clamped down in the truck before the seals starting giving up (no air bleeding), and they were already six years old at the time.

how would you put it at TDC without tearing the engine apart? sorry if its obvious but im just wondering.

Kick it over until it's at.....

.....Top dead center.

You'll be fine. I've left mine strapped down overnight lots of times. You just don't wan't to leave it that way for days on end.

push the kickstarted down until you hear a click, thats TDC. i know its like that on hondas, not sure about others but im pretty sure