Sign in to follow this  

08 te450: Ignition switch doesn't turn on headlight/speedo anymore

Ignition switch enables electric start, but not the headlight or the electronic speedo unit. It all of sudden stopped working on the trail this weekend. If I bypass the ignition/hotwire the bike, everything (headlight, speedo, and electric start) works. Any ideas? Do I just need a new ignition?

Only thing I can think of that may have contributed is that I removed my rear fender/light (well it fell off) and left some wires exposed (tied up, but didn't have electrical tape at the time).

Any help is appreciated!

Not sure where they are but they show up in the electric schematic. One seems to connect to the ignition circuit. Another circuit runs to the remote starter and one to the power relay. You can check the schematic in the manual, page 81. Fuses are #37.

The ignition connects to 4 wires (it's in a 6 piece connector, but only 4 wires feed to the wires on the bike):

1) Hot/power

2-4) Starter, lights, speedo unit (roughly)

I completely disconnected the ignition from all wires. Then taking the wire ends that the ignition connected to (on the bike), I manually connected the hot/power wire to the other 3 wires using three small wires (ignition completely out of the picture now), and everything works.

Based on this I don't think the fuses come into play, and I suspect my next step is to price out a new ignition...

Hello guys

If i understand it right you have a TE450 2008.

If you switch the ign. key on. It is only the rear light that should go on.

Headlight should NOT go on. This is normal on 08-. There is a relay that switch it on when the engine is running. They want to save energy for starting the engine.

I hope i understod your problem right.

Best regards Klas

I'm pretty sure that Luke is past that...see below.

Disregard the whole brake light issue. Brake light doesn't work unless the bike is on :).

Ignition issue still stands though. Ignition doesn't turn on headlight, speedo unit.

My friend and I took apart the ignition switch and it looks pretty simple, so it's strange that this problem actually occurs.

Basically there is a plastic piece (bottom of picture below) inside the ignition switch that 6 wires connect to, exposing a small metal piece for each wire. Only 4 of the wires are actually connected to anything (I guess maybe the wire bundle coming in groups of 6 is probably just a standard part): 1 power, 2 light, 3 start, 4 speedo unit.

On top of the plastic piece sits another piece with some brass-colored metal pieces (middle of picture below) that when turned (by key when put back together), serve to connect power to the 3 wires that control the light, start, speedo unit. Problem is that no matter how I turn this piece, it only ever connects the power to the starter, which is the problem, ignition switch on it's own only turns on the e start, not the light/speedo unit. The ignition switch looks so simply that I don't really see how it would've broke, but the design makes me wonder how it ever worked. Any thoughts? I don't feel like a new ignition switch ($54) would even solve this. It's weird that if I connect power to the other 3 wires manually, however, everything works.

photojl2.jpg

Probably taking this into Tasky's tomorrow

I've been having problems with my ignition switch lately as well. When I turn on the key, occasionally after it goes through the computer check, the low battery light will come on and the fuel pump will not prime when I hit the red button. If I wiggle the wire coming out of the ignition switch it will make a connection and will start and run just fine. I have traced the wires and have found no shorts so I guess disassembling the igniton switch is next for me as well...hope your problem gets fixed!!!

To clarify on the last part, the rear light works, but I can't get the brighter brake light to light up when hitting the brake. The best I could do was get the brakes to turn off the rear light when I brake.

This is a grounding problem. You don't have ground somewhere.

This is a grounding problem. You don't have ground somewhere.

Just removed my posts related to the brake light to avoid confusion, brake light no longer an issue, it's the ignition switch that is a problem with relation to not powering light/speedo unit.

Took it into Tasky's, it was a blown fuse! My buddy had said he already checked the fuses, but he only looked at the fuses near the battery. Mystery solved.

Not sure where they are but they show up in the electric schematic. One seems to connect to the ignition circuit. Another circuit runs to the remote starter and one to the power relay. You can check the schematic in the manual, page 81. Fuses are #37.

You can thank me later......👍

• Like 1

You were right all along, thanks man! You can blame my friend for outruling a blown fuse actually 👍.