Sign in to follow this  

Out for a bit

Well, I just found out that I have to have surgery tomorrow and will not be able to ride for 3-4 months (not crash related). I was planning on draining all the gas from the tank and the carb...anything else? (my first 4t).

If you are an anal nightmare like me put a film of greae on your accelerator pump diapragm. The ethanol in the fuel is killing these things. It'll help it not get brittle and dry out while it waits for your triumphant return.:)

Your owner's manual is full of great advice for storage. Do all that stuff.

My manual is not with me. Other typical actions:

Put some fresh oil in the engine and run for a bit. Old oil contains water from combustion.

Wash it and oil all exposed metal parts. Incl rims, spoke nipples and hubs.

Store it on a stand with tires off the ground.

Since you'll have the time, re-grease the headstem and linkage+swingarm bearings.

If you are real anal then remove your tires, and WD40 clean+lube the inside heads on the spoke nipples.

My suggestion is sell it and buy a 2009. This way you will be able to avoid all the BS that comes along with preparing a bike for storage....now tell me that is not the best advice you have gotten so far.:)

Thanks for the input everyone. I just got home from the hospital and thought I'd start to enjoy my only form of entertainment for awhile :D. Anyway, all went well...just real sore. I wish I could just sell it and get an 09, but my wife would likely send me back to the OR by the she was finished with me :) . I'll go through the manual and get started in a couple of weeks...after all, I'll need something to do.