Thought I'd go for a nice road ride this evening...

the weather was perfect, and I was jonesing to go for a spin. I thought I'd drop by and see the hubby at work via the longest way possible. It was starting to cool off a bit and it was hot as heck in the house... perfect! I had thought earlier of riding one of the horses, but changed my mind and thought a bike ride would be the ticket.

Something tells me I should have ridden a horse instead.

I have not taken my road bike for a ride yet this year. I would sell it, but hubby and I both LOVE the bike, and the value is increasing every year. It seems silly to sell it. I have the DR650 in the garage, and it's just more convenient to hop on that (plus I live on a dirt road and I cringe every time I ride down it on my street bike). Well, i thought it would be a great night for the street bike... crystal clear skies, the road isn't dusty or muddy... just perfect. So I head out to the barn, pull back the tarp, and it's dead as a doornail. Pretty much expected it, but I figured it was worth a try. I'll have to get it into the garage and pull the battery and see if it will hold a charge. I knew I should have pulled it before winter, but it was getting kind of old anyways.

Well, no big deal because I still have the DR. I back the DR out of the garage, turn on the key, make sure all my switches are right (gotta pull in the clutch too). Went to pull in the clutch w/my gloves in my hand and bumped the horn. BEEP! Well, I knew the battery was in good shape anyway! Neutral switch light is on... should be all good. Touch the starter button and POP! Something under the seat gave up the ghost. DAMN!

My neutral switch light was off, my horn didn't work, and it most certainly didn't start. :banghead: I checked all the fuses, they were all fine. So, time to get more serious. Well, I am an electrician, so I should be able to figure this out. Tester in hand, and a handly online manual, I figured I'd have it narrowed down pretty quick. I had a pretty good clue what it was, and unfortunately I was right. My CDI unit is toast... to the tune of $417.34!!! :ride::banghead:?:worthy::D

Guess I will need to hope for overtime when I head back to work. The finances don't have any room for the CDI unit at this time. Guess I'll go walk the dogs...

awww, such a cutie!!!! I think ponies are fun--way back when I worked at a summer horse camp in the mountains (it was the summer when Man From Snowy River came out on video and we watched it every weekend) there was a tubby shetland pony I would take out and go hillclimbing with (kinda Man From SNowy RIver in reverse) bareback--it kinda ended up like jat's beer+minibike riding (no horses were hurt, and we picked the ones that seemed to enjoy it:D). She was great with kids, but a total snotbucket with adults:D.

(okay, now YM will NEVER let me ride her horsies!?)

BTW, this was a few miles north of Leavenworth WA--and up on the ridge I could always hear dirt bikes--anybody know what riding area that would be? I think the camp was off Sunitch Canyon Road(or something like that), north out of Leavenworth)

My first 'pro' job too. She is making me a purse in trade. I'll have to post up pics of the purse when I get it. Full set of her pics here: http://imageevent.com/jakkofhearts/shared/bethsseniorpics

Still have to finalize them. These are the shots she wants, but I have some in b/w and sepia, and others cropped differently and stuff. So, once she makes final selections on pic options, we'll be good to go. ? It was actually kind of fun. Another guy we work with was going to do them but had to cancel last minute and I kind of got pushed into the deal... but I'd do it again!

My horse, Geronimo gave me that same look when I fell off of him while riding down a very boring road. I was trying to turn around to ride backwards and just fell off. He stopped & looked at me like "What are you doing dumbshit?"

Sorry to hear about the CDI, any chance you can get a used one somewhere? I've picked up used electrical parts for my Magna on Ebay and at a local shop that deals in used parts.

how exactly do you test a CDI?

Well, I thought I would START w/the CDI as it was easily accessible under the seat (and that is where the pop sound came from). It seems the pins that I thought had fried were just not used on my model. ? Silly me... the wiring diagrams I have suck... so basically by those diagrams (just showing bits and pieces here and there, but not showing the whole thing... wire colors not labeled... really sucky in general) it could have been just about anything. After digging more, I see that my neutral indicator does NOT come off the CDI so there is no way it would be the CDI (or shouldn't be).

As for testing a CDI... you check resistance pin to pin according to a chart in the manual. I had two 'dead' pins. Go figure. One was supposed to test 'dead' or 'infinity' as in 'no connection' on the meter w/the leads one direction (at the same reading on all pins in reference to that one), but it tested the same w/the leads swapped... which it is NOT supposed to read that way. Another pin tested 'dead' right above it. Upon further inspection of the bike... surprise... no wires connect to that pin (no metal contact in the plug at those points).

Anyway, I'm frustrated beyond belief trying to wrestle my way through a bunch of completely taped wires (where do they go? what color is connected where?) and a crappy wiring diagram and manual that points out some things but not others... labels maybe half the wires on some diagrams, none on others. It's mighty stressful! :D BUT... I have a feeling it is either the ignition switch itself or a connection somewhere along the line to it (logic does dictate this... where I just jumped in under the seat because the noise came from there... shame on me!). If it's a bad ignition switch, it is just over $100. But if I want an ignition switch and gas cap that are keyed alike still, it's another $70+. Crap. :worthy:

My horse, Geronimo gave me that same look when I fell off of him while riding down a very boring road. I was trying to turn around to ride backwards and just fell off. He stopped & looked at me like "What are you doing dumbshit?"..

Don't ya just love that look. I used to get quite a few of those myself. My fav were the ones mixed with the above look and "What the heck??"

The 'collar' is called a halter... fyi. And they are pink because that is what the kid put on him (she has a girl horse, and that is her halter and lead rope). Magic has a black rope halter that is his. But haven't you heard the saying 'tough enough to wear pink'? ? The rodeo cowboys have an event that supports breast cancer and they all wear pink shirts.

http://www.toughenoughtowearpink.com/

The 'collar' is called a halter... fyi. And they are pink because that is what the kid put on him (she has a girl horse, and that is her halter and lead rope). Magic has a black rope halter that is his. But haven't you heard the saying 'tough enough to wear pink'? :worthy: The rodeo cowboys have an event that supports breast cancer and they all wear pink shirts.

http://www.toughenoughtowearpink.com/

Oh yeah it's a halter. :D

I didn't mean to offend you and I hope I didn't. I guess I'm in a smart arse mood this morning. ?

Oh yeah it's a halter. :D

I didn't mean to offend you and I hope I didn't. I guess I'm in a smart arse mood this morning. ?

Not offended at all! Heck, Magic wouldn't even mind. :worthy: It doesn't matter what color halter you head out into the field with... he's first in line to stick his head in it (and if he isn't first, he pushes his way to the front). :ride: