Sign in to follow this  

Pro-Taper Evo Handlebars Problem?

I just purchased and installed a set of Pro-Taper Evo handle bars on my 05 RMZ450 and I discovered that the bars were smaller in diameter than the originals to the point that the brake master cylinder would slide around freely after the clamps were fully tightened. The clutch perch was after-market and came with a plastic insert but even that had to be tightened fully to get it to stay in place at all. I measured the bars and they were actually 0.3mm smaller than the original Renthals. I had to wrap them in tape to make them work and the left hand grip was also very loose fitting. 7/8" is supposed to be .875" but when measured they were only .861"

Has anyone else seen this or was I the only lucky one?

Weird. I have EVO's on the bike, and 2 extra sets hanging in the parts room, and they all measure within .002" of each other, at .872 +/- .002.

Weird. I have EVO's on the bike, and 2 extra sets hanging in the parts room, and they all measure within .002" of each other, at .872 +/- .002.

+1 our EVO's fit everything like a glove on a 06 kx65 a 99 yz125 all fit perfect!

Mine are just right. It sounds like you should give Pro-Taper a call, I bet that they will send you another pair for free.

I just purchased and installed a set of Pro-Taper Evo handle bars on my 05 RMZ450 and I discovered that the bars were smaller in diameter than the originals to the point that the brake master cylinder would slide around freely after the clamps were fully tightened. The clutch perch was after-market and came with a plastic insert but even that had to be tightened fully to get it to stay in place at all. I measured the bars and they were actually 0.3mm smaller than the original Renthals. I had to wrap them in tape to make them work and the left hand grip was also very loose fitting. 7/8" is supposed to be .875" but when measured they were only .861"

Has anyone else seen this or was I the only lucky one?

Strange, I just installed a set of Pro Taper Contour (also fat bars) on my KTM, fit was great. We have run Pro Tapers exclusively on everyone of our bikes. I'd call Pro Taper, explain the condition, I'd bet they get a new set out to you ASAP.

Pro-Taper did offer to exchange them after I shipped them back and they inspected them. It will be kind of hard to ride my bike in the meantime. :)

Sent some photos and measurements to pro-taper and they are shipping out a new set.:)