Sign in to follow this  

97 CR250 - is this a legit VIN?

Hey guys so I've got this P.O.S 97 CR250. I got a title for the bike when I bought it but I lost it like a dumbass. So I was just about to take the bike down to the MVD when I looked at the VIN on the frame and I noticed that I didn't look like a normal 17 digit VIN. It loosely follows the same format as my 98 CR250 VIN but its definitely missing some digits. Here's what it looks like

IMG_1341.jpg

I definitely dont think thats normal. I only had the title for like a day so I don't remember anything off of it like the what VIN was on there. I made a ton of mistakes when I bought this bike, this VIN debacle being one of them. So what do you guys think?

It looks odd to me. All of my CR VINS started with JH2 then went to ME03 then like two more numbers, 2 letters, and 6 more numbers after that. Also by the looks from the picture that last digit is not in line with the others. It seems higher and between the 1 and 9 looks too spaced

So what do you think they'll say at the MVD if I take this down and try to get it titled?

Check on the frame spars, or other spots, is there still the "original sticker" on the bike....

I don't believe that's your VIN# it should be elsewhere and will look like a "normal" one

good luck!!

(i wish i could remember from my 1997 CR250 where it was but that was a number of bikes ago)

Check on the frame spars, or other spots, is there still the "original sticker" on the bike....

I don't believe that's your VIN# it should be elsewhere and will look like a "normal" one

good luck!!

(i wish i could remember from my 1997 CR250 where it was but that was a number of bikes ago)

I've checked all over the frame, and I haven't seen anything else that resembles a VIN. I also have a 98 CR250 and a 99 CR125 and they both have 17 digit VINs in the same spot. Both those bikes also have a black sticker that says "Honda Motor Corporation - Made in Japan," which this bike doesn't have either...

I've never seen a VIN like that. Very strange. For what it's worth, I ran it and it's not listed NCIC as stolen.

I didn't think the bike was stolen as it came with a title.. I just wish I knew what VIN was on it so I could use it to get a new title in my name. What VIN did you plug into NCIC to see if it was stolen? Did you try and make a proper 17 digit VIN out of whats on the frame? Thanks a lot I really appreciate your help.

I definitely dont think thats normal. I only had the title for like a day so I don't remember anything off of it like the what VIN was on there. I made a ton of mistakes when I bought this bike, this VIN debacle being one of them. So what do you guys think?

That looks like a Honda part number. Where on the frame is that? In the photo it looks like a side-spar. The VIN# is generally on the right side (starboard) of the headtube, stamped into a raised area in the aluminum casting.

JayC

Its the right side of the head tube in the picture. Its the same spot as the VIN on my 98 CR250 and my 99 CR125.

To me it looks like possibly a part number. Also, it appears it has been rewelded. Maybe part of it was ground off. Do the numbers match anything on your registration paperwork?

That VIN does not look correct, I think they are normally like 17 characters. Maybe the real VIN is on the engine block or something.

The VIN on my '97 is in the same spot as on my '98.... Starts with JH2ME.... 17 digits long. The last two digits are slightly higher than the rest... (mine has the black sticker too)

It doesn't match up with honda part numbers (honda part numbers generally follow this format XXXXX-XXX-XXX). It either looks like an engine serial number or as strange as it sounds, it looks like a really (i mean REALLY) old format that they used to use back in the seventies. Another possibility is that the frame was replaced and honda issued the frame with that stamping (really wouldn't suprise me, have seen some funky things before).

Hey guys so I've got this P.O.S 97 CR250. I got a title for the bike when I bought it but I lost it like a dumbass. So I was just about to take the bike down to the MVD when I looked at the VIN on the frame and I noticed that I didn't look like a normal 17 digit VIN. It loosely follows the same format as my 98 CR250 VIN but its definitely missing some digits. Here's what it looks like IMG_1341.jpgI definitely dont think thats normal. I only had the title for like a day so I don't remember anything off of it like the what VIN was on there. I made a ton of mistakes when I bought this bike, this VIN debacle being one of them. So what do you guys think?

Hey bud,

I have just come across the same problem, did you end up finding out what year That bike was with that VIN number on the frame? If so how? I'm in Australia and just Brought a CR250 in bits and pieces and I can't order parts because the vin number is all &%$#@!ed up. Here is what I'm dealing with

image.png

image.png

image.png

Hey bud,

I have just come across the same problem, did you end up finding out what year That bike was with that VIN number on the frame? If so how? I'm in Australia and just Brought a CR250 in bits and pieces and I can't order parts because the vin number is all &%$#@!ed up. Here is what I'm dealing with

I never figured out exactly what year the bike was but I bought a legit 97 frame that was being parted out and it matched up completely.   I dont remember now since its been so long but there was a difference between my 98 and the 97, something to do with the upper chain roller being in different spots or something.  And the frame with the mystery VIN matched the legit 97 frame I bought.

Edited by PTECH

I never figured out exactly what year the bike was but I bought a legit 97 frame that was being parted out and it matched up completely.   I dont remember now since its been so long but there was a difference between my 98 and the 97, something to do with the upper chain roller being in different spots or something.  And the frame with the mystery VIN matched the legit 97 frame I bought.

The 97 has different linkage from the 98-99