Sign in to follow this  

85 xl350r

I have an old 85xl350r, Just rebuilt the motor and it ran great for about 2 hours, Now the bike has sat for about 4 months and needed a new stator, put that in and got the bike running, put in new cdi box also with advanced curves..Bike ran good for an hour, and than started backfiring really bad and alot, now I have alot of spark but bike wont start...good compression, and seems to be getting enough gas...I did foul out a spark plug right away in this bike after starting it up, not sure if the cdi is making it burn hotter or what...Could the valves need adjusting? and how??? I have the book for it, but theres no content on adjusting the valves...also I had the carbs cleaned and synched together by a local mechanic, and like I said the bike ran great for an hour...than started backfiring, ....Please help...

Adjust the valves before doing anything else. If that does not help, check the jets to make sure they are clean and clear. Is the float level correct? How was the plug fouled - sooty, oily, burned?