Sign in to follow this  

Ford trans.question.

Is it possible to install a granny low 4-speed into a 96 Ford F-150 with a factory 4eod auto,,Has it ever been done:confused: ,can it be done:confused: ,someone please get back to me,Thanks.:)

Why not just install the 5-speed trans from that era. First gear is so low it is almost a granny.

There are two newer 5 speeds that will out shine that old 4 speed crash box. The M5R2 which is a light duty 5 speed, found in F150s with the 300 and the 302. And the ZF42 5 speed, it is in the 1987 F150, and all 1987 and later F250's and F350's with the 351. The ZF had a low first similar to the old 4 speeds, even the M5R2 has a 4 to one first gear which is still pretty decent. But you will need to swap computers to a computer from a manual truck of the same year. You would also need to switch fly wheels, cross members, and drive shafts. It would be easier to stick with the slushbox.

what size engine ? as long as the trans is for the same motor than it should work .

it would be alot of work. the driveshaft is differant, the wiring harness and PCM is differant, you would have to install a clutch pedal. you would be money ahead to sell the truck and buy one with a stick shift. unless you have a donor truck with free or very cheap parts. either way it can be done.

Way more trouble than its worth.

But I'd go with the ZF 5-speed. Low, low 1st, plus a nice 5th (OD) for the highway. My '88 F250 had a ZF and the 4.9L, it was a nice combo.

Is it possible to install a granny low 4-speed into a 96 Ford F-150 with a factory 4eod auto,,Has it ever been done:confused: ,can it be done:confused: ,someone please get back to me,Thanks.:)

Yes, it can be done.

Yes, it will be extensive to do (like others said).

What do you intend on using the truck for?

Myself, I'm no fan of the Mazda 5 spd trannies that were used in that era of F150's-they were fine for use as a daily driver, but if you really put them to the test, they get an F-.

Mostly hauling,lots of steep grades,300 6-engine, Im gonna go with the ZF 5-speed,or maybe even a ZF 6-speed,ive already located a couple,Ill have to confirm the 6-speed will fit my motor,but I know the 5-speed will,87 to 95,If theres anything else anyone can add that will help me out,let me know. Thanks,, Ron.

Make sure the crankshaft is machined to accept the proper pilot bushing...boy did I get a handfull on an old dodge

yup, some newer motors wernt machined, and some of the ones that were can be a pain to get one in (rust and gunk)I ran plenty of computorized motors from auto's to manuals. just didnt have the shift light. modded the harness for the clutchpedal safty switch and reverse lights (get the sensors/connectors with the trans,,,possibly the crossmember. the driveshaft diference is ussually pretty cheap (80-100 with U joints)

Im also assuming its a 2wd, 4x4 can be a little bit more complex

Thanks P-Funk,it is 2wd, With a granny Low 4-speed,and my rearend "Lincoln Locked",to full posi, its all ill ever need around the farm,we got tractors to get us un stuck,as needed.

Ok,friends,heres the run down Ive got a friend that owns a very popular speed shop/garage,we built my very 1st 350 there,anyway,hes got the donor truck minus motor[300-6],with everything,hydraulic clutch-bell housing,,np435,everything,for 250 dam what a deal,im going to see him on the 7th of sep.Im gonna go ahead and do it for now,a zf5-speed may be a better choice,but a fresh re-built example is at least a grand,plus core,I dont have a core.Once the conversion is done,if I want to,I can always toss in the zf5 at my convenience,but for my money,the np435,complete with all the goods cant be passed over at this time,so,as my very favorite showman used to say "And away we go" (Jackie Gleason).