Sign in to follow this  

uhg..stripped/broken studs..HELP!

k well finally i get my bike running and as im going to put my muffler back on, i totally break the block/metal around one of the studs [there are still threads deeper down as u can see in the pic] and previously, i over-tightend the other one, so it went past the smooth middle, and into the threads on the other side, so now that one is stuck deep in there, and i cannot get it out, ive tried pliers but it's in there so good they were no use..

i have 2 new studs to use, and thinking of using some kind of cement or locktight to put the new one in the empty spot, but i have no idea *** to do with the one stuck in there..

any help would be very much appreciated, keep in mind these are very small studs and will be nearly impossible to drill out etc.

stud1.jpg

stud2.jpg

stud3.jpg

stud4.jpg

i still have that peice that broke off.. so perhaps i could cement it back on.. but i dunno?

You can get a "Grabbit" drill bit set that will drill a hole in the end of the bolt and then be able to drill the bolt right out.

do they make sets for very small bolts? these are very small and i think the picture makes them look wayyy bigger then they are, like the one stuck in there is very small and the only chance i would have would be to cut the screw right at the hole to try and drill it out..

im scared to try to re-thread it etc. cause im hooped it if gets too big

A further mistake here could trash the head altogether. Pull the engine, take it to a good machine shop. Have them look at the head and determine if the material left on the broken side is adequate to hold the stud. They can also remove the broken one. When you get it back in the frame, use anti-seize on the studs when installing the header. All exhaust bolts should always have anti-seize on them.

finally, better a bolt is loose and causes a leak or vibrates out instead of stripping threads or breaking parts. A bolt or a gasket will always be cheaper than this lesson.

this bike is an 84 XR100, and i just had the whole thing apart so i'm really not willing to take it apart and bring it to a machine shop and dump further money into it, im looking for a quick/permanent fix

i got a tiny little screw extractor and some JB weld, wish me luck lol

Use a small pipe wrench to get the broken bolt out. Something with a 6" handle should do nicely. Pipe wrenches actually grab tighter and tigher with more and more force to turn them, so it shouldn't slip.

As for the threads, tapping is easy, and if you go too big, you get a helicoil to fix that. It works fine.

What I would be worried about is the broken metal. That may be a problem with no way around. Its hard to see how much deeper it goes below the break in the picture.

well.. being totally sick of this bike i did it ghetto fab style and ground off the bolt to the block after breaking 4 drill bits trying to drill it out and use the extractor, then i JB welded the other stuff with the broken peice stuck back into position, the threads that are not broken were actually pretty deep so i think it may work, then im tempted to just stick the pipe in there and use a brace to push the hell out of it into the hole and JB weld that sucker in there too lol

A further mistake here could trash the head altogether. Pull the engine, take it to a good machine shop. Have them look at the head and determine if the material left on the broken side is adequate to hold the stud. They can also remove the broken one. When you get it back in the frame, use anti-seize on the studs when installing the header. All exhaust bolts should always have anti-seize on them.

finally, better a bolt is loose and causes a leak or vibrates out instead of stripping threads or breaking parts. A bolt or a gasket will always be cheaper than this lesson.

:) best answer or you'll have scrap aluminum to cash in and a dead bike

On the stud that is still sticking out you can try WD40 and a flat chisel. You put the chisel on the edge of the stud and tap it so it is loosening the stud. A little WD40 makes it easier.

I do appreciate the ghetto fix, hell it is an 84 xr100 for goodness sake.

You could probably find a new head cheap on ebay.

You could also try heat, heat the stud till it is cherry red and it will come right out.