Sign in to follow this  

1987 xl600r eradic idle

hi guys new member here just bought bike runs strong but some times idles high some times low. any ideas? and does anyone know if you can swap the dual carbs for a later modle single carb. thanks dave

Maybe it's leaking air around the carbs to cylinder head manifold..They do have a rubber seal in their that some people say causes problems...Spray some engine start around the area and see if the idle speed changes..If it does you probably have an air leak...Then again it may be bad cabling, bad choke..yadayadayada...and yeah I assume you could put a single carb on if you can mickey mouse some sort of manifold together but their is no easy method of just swapping the carb..I have the head from a single carb model XR 600 and have looked at changing from the double carbs but at the moment it's on the back burner...the carb manifold from the XR single carb has the holes in a different position for mounting to the head,,hence you'd need to make a new one to suit the XL/XR and also ponce about with the air filter side of things...2 into 1 wont generally go...Welcome aboard by the way.

why is a single carb better?? in my opinion the two should work better, it should give better throttle response in the low rev range have alot of flow higher?? i got the 1986 with the duel carbies mine idels higher when it warms up just have to screw it in a bit when its warm. i just thought that was normal.

I don't know if its better..but having two of anything when you only need one makes more sense to me..My bikes idle much the same hot or semi cold.Obviously none of them idle real well when stone cold.Always have to mess with the throttle slightly or as you say turn up the idle speed a wee bit.

In what way..power.The XL I own is not as fast as the XR but that may just be due to the fact that it;s pretty standard and may have been run in different than the XR which has had a harder life.I didn't own either of them from new so can't be sure but the XR does feel faster.Have never really put them in a side by side drag..I'd say they would be pretty close to each other really.The XR has a wiseco(sp) piston in it and it's exhaust is way louder than the XL though it is a standard XR muffler etc..Maybe I'm just imagining a speed difference..Noise does that.

cool thats interesting some people say the xr is alot faster but a couple web sites i looked at only gave them a couple hp more than the xl 44 compared to 46 or 48 thereabout for the xr. so what you say is probably much like what the specs say.

sorry for thread steal ogdb1.

hey guys thanks makes me feel better must be a common problem, like i said just bought it ill check the intake for leaks. I just went out and it started after about 10 kicks takes a while for warm up but runs good. any way thanks again. Dave