Sign in to follow this  

Trials Boots

I've been thinking about buying a pair of more flexible trials boots instead of the Fox Forma Pros I'm wearing now. TT sells the Gaerne Balance Oiled Boot for $323.96. Still very pricey. Lewisport sells the Novogar,Alpine Stars and Diadora Stone 2 Pro. All a little less expensive.

I'm not able to try on any of these boots of course so that makes it a little more difficult to choose although I have been pretty lucky over the years at ordering riding gear that fits well.

Just wondering what types of boots everyone else finds good for riding trials. Are there any brands to stay away from? I'm looking for something decent that will last for several years.

Thanks.

The Novogar work well for me, purchased mine from the Trials Shop, $250ish I think.

i have novagars,not impressed,hebos were always my favorite,have you heard of on,offs? read about them in tc

I would second the "not quite sure" on the Novogars....sort of. They are a great "starter boot". You know, one of those "am I really gonna like the sport and do I want to spend THAT much for a pair of Gaernes" kinda compromises. They are not the most rugged boot I've ever worn, and the leather is what I'd call "second level" (not terrible just not great). All that said, I have a hard time fitting in all kinds of shoes (wide big feet) and they actually do fit pretty darn well and for the most part have held up OK. I think if cost is a consideration they make an acceptable compromise.

I've been thinking about buying a pair of more flexible trials boots instead of the Fox Forma Pros I'm wearing now. TT sells the Gaerne Balance Oiled Boot for $323.96. Still very pricey. Lewisport sells the Novogar,Alpine Stars and Diadora Stone 2 Pro. All a little less expensive.

I'm not able to try on any of these boots of course so that makes it a little more difficult to choose although I have been pretty lucky over the years at ordering riding gear that fits well.

Just wondering what types of boots everyone else finds good for riding trials. Are there any brands to stay away from? I'm looking for something decent that will last for several years.

Thanks.

Hey Black,

I've got the Alpine stars and I have to say they are soft but I would rather ride in my Steel working flat bottom boots as the have more feel.I have only had mine for about ten rides and may need more breaking in? Not bad on feet quite the comfort actually, just not an Oil boot feel. I do feel safer in these though.I have dropped on my leg and have to say these protect more like a Enduro boot on the leg area.

My 2 cents is oil type for true maneuverability,Pines for leg saftey!

Scott H.

I picked up a set of the Gaernes oiled and besides shelling out that kind of dough and not even getting one spare plastic buckle:crazy: , I am very happy with them.

I have the Gaerne Pro-tect which I like a lot. I also have very wide feet, and these still fit nicely. I think that they are no longer being produced though....

I have the on/offs and oiler gaernes. The on/off and diadorra are a little stiffer, which I prefer. The oiled boots feel too flimsy. Speak to Adrian at lewisport, he will help.

A local guy (champ rider) uses work boots to practice in. I tried and its excellent to "feel" the pegs. HOWEVER, and let this be a warning, they offer NO SHIN PROTECTION!! So if you plan on doing anything besides turning and basics, you should opt for a real boot.

I have the Hebo's and they have lasted very well.

I also wear them on dual sport rides and scouting trips where we walk alot

I have the diadoras pretty decent boot,got em from lewisport in calif.Not the best idea to use them on the dualsport bike though, shifting side is little worn understandably.all in all pretty happy with them though!

hubby wears oiled Gaerne

I prefer A'stars

still have a pair of Spicas (they also produce under the brand name of Hebo)

brandnew, tried on 3 or 4 times the last year and still don't like,

can not even say what exactly I do not like, but definitely stiffer than my A'stars

anyone in need of new Euro size 42 ~US 9 trials boots?

?action=view&current=20070825_36-1.jpg

?action=view&current=20070825_33.jpg

Boots are such a personal thing. What is great for one is Hell for another.

A few years ago when it was time for new boots, I couldn't make up my mind which to buy and since they would be mail order, I had to take a chance.

After making up my mind to try the Hebos, I found out that my calf muscles were too big for these boots and there were no larger clasp wires available. I returned them for the Oiled Gaernes. But these were stiff and with the big calf and smaller ankles, the leather started bending in a way that started to bruise my ankles.

So, I looked to the web again and found some AXO trials boots with an inner boot that looked slick. So, with no wife around to stop me, I ordered them and then I took another look at the A'stars and decided, (again, no wife) what the heck and ordered a pair 30 minutes after the AXO's

To shorten the story, the AXO's were pretty good but with strange buckles. But the A'stars fit perfectly and broke in without any pinching. Plus, they lasted me through 4 seasons and can still be repaired with some stitching by a good boot repair.

After them, I tried a pair of Diadoras. Not bad, but eventually started to put pressure on the ankle where the leather folded. So, I put them in the oven with some snow seal in a multi stage treatment to water-proof and soften them. All was going well until one of the buckles dropped too low under the rack and melted OFF!!!! :)

So, I have a new pair of A'stars and they fit just like the first pair.. However, the big calf could cause the boot front to tuck under the other side instead of over it. So, I came up with an idea and presented it to a boot repair guy and for $15 he modified them with round plastic like extensions.

Let's save a couple thousand words:

Example of how the problem can happen with a photo of my Wife's stock A'star boots:

the-problem.jpg

Now, my modified A'stars:

the-fix1.jpg

the-fix2.jpg

Keep in mind that some people hate A'stars Trials Boots and they say they wear out in one season and that's probably true for them.

Like I said, it's a very personal issue and there is no right nor wrong here. That's why I haven't posted until now. And if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted to share this modification with other owners of A'stars No Stop Trials Boots, I'd probably still be silent.

OK, back to getting ready for the mountain ride in possible 100 degree F heat.... Yes, it can get that hot and hotter just 1-1/2 hour drive east from Seattle. :D

once again, 2Ply has the better words for the same thought

am on the 3rd pair of "No Stop"s now

on the 1st pair some seams came undone and PU exchanged them

for pair #2 which held up for 2 years of riding trials and street, now the soles feel soft and my feet hurt after a short while standing on the pegs, so they (the boots, not the feet) retired to street-only duty and made room for pair #3

the crew at TTC said they do not like the A'stars because "you stand so far above the pegs, the soles are too thick" - I do not share this impression

I have hebos and ready for a new pair. I have the same problem with the big calves. Will try the A-stars. Also - A-stars offers a factory resole on there boots - so thats cool.

The A-Stars look like they may provide better protection as well.

Good point. When wearing my on/offs, I can not wear mx knee pads. Very small around the calf area.

One thing I noticed as 2ply mentioned,I often find 15mins to practice out back and don't where riding pants to do it.

I have enough room in my pines to wrap my jeans around my upper ankle(whatever way doesn't pinch) in the boot. Very comfortable to do. Which in turn keeps me riding safer then just a work boot and worth the 2 mins to do it.

No more leg scaring from a miss kicks on those rolling restarts is a big plus.I often looked at my boots and wonder why they didn't do what you suggested 2ply...I find I have to start buckling in the center with forced pressure to keep them over lapped then re tighten after others are snapped....Please don't let this discourage anyone as it is nothing too it. But that wonderful fix is a great idea for it.

Scott H

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It sounds like getting the right boot will be a mixture of trial,error and luck.

I've actually owned a pair of Alpine Stars before. I still have them. I bought them in the mid 70's and they have "Roger Decoster" emblazoned across the shin plate. They are very flexible, especially after 3 decades of use, but the leather buckles are starting to rot off and the right boot sole is shreaded from the Sherpa T footpeg(shifter side).

Since I have a wife who supports me only to a certain extent when it comes to me spending piles of money on bikes and accessories I can choose only 1 pair for now.

I'll go with the Gaerne Balanced Oiled and see how I like them. I am told, from my higher power, that after I try them on they will be boxed up and put away till christmas! So in 2009 I'll be able to report on them.