Sign in to follow this  

Filling handlebars with foam? and a killswich question

well i got the bars off my bike now and there is a can of that sealing foam on top of the fridge that i saw, so its a perfect time to foam my handlebars...in hopes of reducing a little vibration (even though i have no problem with vibration)

so i just get a long tube, push it all the way through the bars and squirt it in and pull the tube along as i go...do i have to plug the ends or something

and the killswich on my bike is done for. can i just cut the wires and tape them to the bars untill i get a new one. i will just kill the bike in gear untill i get one

watch the foam it grows like crazy and keep it away from your hands, it stays on forever let it dry and just cut off what oozes out, kill switch depends on if its n/o or n/c switch wires either need seperated or connected for it to run.

well i got the bars off my bike now and there is a can of that sealing foam on top of the fridge that i saw, so its a perfect time to foam my handlebars...in hopes of reducing a little vibration (even though i have no problem with vibration)

so i just get a long tube, push it all the way through the bars and squirt it in and pull the tube along as i go...do i have to plug the ends or something

and the killswich on my bike is done for. can i just cut the wires and tape them to the bars untill i get a new one. i will just kill the bike in gear untill i get one

I guarantee you the foam will not cure, been there, done that, it is an air dry foam. You need a two part urethane foam.

the foam i used is a window and door foam minimal expanding foam i just used a long tube and held the bars upright and waited until it started to drop out the other side, i used this in PT EVO bars MSR high mini's and emgo bars, the only problem i had was with the emgo bars it seemed to have a hollow spot it it so i just pressed a 1/8 rod thru them and filled with more foam, i have noticed a huge diff. on a yz125 vib problem after doing this

i say +1 on foam, before i tried foam i tried moose racing anti vibe inserts which did not work.

• Like 1

would it be a good idea to plug the ends of the bars so the foam get packed in there tighter

how much weight does the foam add. I mean I know its not going to be a lot, but I would be hesitant about putting it in my new Pro Taper bars.

how much weight does the foam add. I mean I know its not going to be a lot, but I would be hesitant about putting it in my new Pro Taper bars.

I would only be a few ounces. You would never notice it.

Even if the foam doesnt add much weight...I dont think its actually going to absorb your vibrations. Its a waste of time in my opinion and you will probably just make a mess and add a tiny bit of weight for no reason. If the vibration isnt a problem then dont bother anyway. Every OZ of weight makes a difference in the long run, and you might end up getting the foam all over. Vibration on my bike was COMPLETELY eliminated when I bought the Pro Taper Pillow Grips, plus they look nice, grip like CRAZY, dont slide around on the bars, and they have a built-in tear resistant, shock supressing bar end.

^ I agree...leave well enough alone. If the vibration is a problem and you don't mind a couple extra ounces, fill the bars with fine sand and plug the ends. Fill them up with sand; then dump the sand out into a baggie to see how much it weighs. If it acceptable, pour it back in and seal the ends with caulking.

Others fill their bars with silicone caulking.

Or buy Flexx Bars.

good input. how did you put on your pillow tops? I have heard scotts grip glue eats them, and they are to soft to saftey wire?

well i did it today and what a freaking MESS!, when i was done my hands were comptely cover in foam and so was 80% of the shop, that shit is so damn stickey i can not get it all off, like i literatally spend 2 houres trying to get it off my hand and i still have alot of my hands left. i am just going to wait untill it falls.

for the mess this made i am going to say already that it was not worth it /lol/

if any is going to do this use a tube and do it right, i had a tube but it was too big so i just half assed it...AND WEAR GLOVES

well i did it today and what a freaking MESS!, when i was done my hands were comptely cover in foam and so was 80% of the shop, that shit is so damn stickey i can not get it all off, like i literatally spend 2 houres trying to get it off my hand and i still have alot of my hands left. i am just going to wait untill it falls.

if any is going to do this use a tube and do it right, i had a tube but it was too big so i just half assed it...AND WEAR GLOVES

Told ya so, earlier:p .....carb cleaner and time will remove it.

When I bought my '06 CRF450R, the vibration was killing me. I filled my ProTaper Contour's with "Great Stuff" expanding foam insulation available at any home improvement center by installing my clutch-side grip and running a section of vinyl hose through the bars from the throttle side until it hit the end of the grip on the clutch side. I went mellow on the trigger and pulled the tubing out slowly as I discharged the foam. I ended up with three drops on the garage floor, they peeled right off the floor the next morning. I left the throttle tube off the bars overnight and also cut a small (appx. 3/8") diameter hole in the end of the clutch side grip, since I was installing bark busters. The foam cured a bit slower than normal, but it did cure and even more importantly, it killed nearly 100% of the vibration transfer through the bars.

🙂

• Like 1

good input. how did you put on your pillow tops? I have heard scotts grip glue eats them, and they are to soft to saftey wire?

Haha a little trick I picked up on. I never use glue or wires. I clean the bars really well and then spray the bars with hairspray and slide the grip on before it dries. They NEVER move at all. Make sure you get really cheap hairspray and try to get a strong kind. I dont think grip glue will eat them, they are layered. The inside and bar ends are really strong and then there is a grey outer layer that is really soft and comfortable. I am on my second pair(two different bikes) and I will never run any other grip. There is no vibration, No un-even feel with the half smooths half checkered grip, they last a lot longer than you would think given the fact that they're soft, they dont move, They are EXTREMELY comfortable, and they grip better than any other grips I have tried(and I have tried more than I can count). They do look really nice and mine are orange to match my KTM with grey in the middle, and the built in bar end is "tough as nails". Give them a try... FAR before you decide to fill your bars with foam. I guarantee that you will be impressed.

Oh too late. I'm sorry to hear that.

Did somebody mention to ya " I told you so " 🙂

When I bought my '06 CRF450R, the vibration was killing me. I filled my ProTaper Contour's with "Great Stuff" expanding foam insulation available at any home improvement center by installing my clutch-side grip and running a section of vinyl hose through the bars from the throttle side until it hit the end of the grip on the clutch side. I went mellow on the trigger and pulled the tubing out slowly as I discharged the foam. I ended up with three drops on the garage floor, they peeled right off the floor the next morning. I left the throttle tube off the bars overnight and also cut a small (appx. 3/8") diameter hole in the end of the clutch side grip, since I was installing bark busters. The foam cured a bit slower than normal, but it did cure and even more importantly, it killed nearly 100% of the vibration transfer through the bars.

🙂

thats 100% what i found, it worked great.

• Like 1

Hmmm... I wish I'd read of, or thought of using foam earlier. Very interesting to read of some folks' success.

I've only read of or heard of adding a heavy metal to damp or change the frequency of handlebar vibration. Like the OEM or aftermarket bar end weights on street bikes.

I've had two (street) bikes over the years that had bar inserts installed from the OEM, which were basically long heavy metal rods fitted with rubber bushings or O-rings slid into the ends of the bars.

So, I'm currently in the process of do-it-yourselfing my own version. I'm filling the bar ends with lead. Heavy, I know, but on a street bike like my '83 FT500 Ascot thumper, I'm not worried.

What I did was get lead fishing sinkers, melt 'em and pour the lead into the bar ends, after first inserting a rubber plug deep into the bar to act as a plug for the molten lead.

It turns out, my Ascot was one of those bikes that had an OEM insert already. Turns out each insert weighed 11 ounces. I removed it, and ultimately replaced it with 24 ounces of lead (per side). I've only done one side of the bar so far, so I don't know how well it's even going to work. Kind of an experiment. Like I said, I wish I'd thought of foam earlier. We'll see...

Kirk

Copyof006.jpg

Copy001-Copy.jpg

Copy003-Copy.jpg

Copy004-Copy.jpg

Copy005-Copy.jpg

Copy006-Copy.jpg

How much weight does that add? I have never had a problem with vibration but it has always been present. I'm telling you the Pro Taper pillow grips REALLY help solve it, and they happen to be the best grips in any category anyway.

My local mechanic was telling me that there is another way. He told me never to fill the bars with anything or bother with vibration dampening engine mounts. I guess there is something you can put on the bars where they clamp on and it eliminates 100% of vibration at any frequency no matter how severe. My only questions were would the bars fit correctly, and would they slip? I guess he says he does it on all of his machines and its really easy to do and mess free, the bars fit perfectly and its actually LESS likey for them to slip. If anyone is interested in this method let me know and I'll ask him what he uses and how to do it.