Sign in to follow this  

Deep water riding

I usually go riding with a bunch of quaders (yea we play keep up with the kid on the dirtbike muahaha) but usually in the two deep sections of our trails i push my bike over a log. Think its dangerous to attempt to go through if water level is near exhaust levels. They barely make it through but then again mine is high. Any suggestions?

You gotta seal your airbox if you want to go through deep water. There's probably an intake at the very bottom of the box, so as soon as water is as high is your carb then water's getting into it.

Obviously don't seal the top, but silicone everything bellow that and you can take water up to the bottom of the seat. And make sur the boot is tight and crack free.

There's probably an intake at the very bottom of the box, so as soon as water is as high is your carb then water's getting into it.

That is not an intake. It should have a rubber boot with a slight opening or a flap. It is a drain for water that has gotten into your air cleaner housing.

Check the water depth before going into it. Then keep moving with out a bunch of roost if possible. Your wake will kind of push the water away from the bike, and give you a slightly lower water level. Most intake areas are at the top and rear of your air box. If you're kicking up a shitload of water though it won't matter, it will spash down on you and get into your air filter housing.

Also, use a good water-repellent air filter oil. I use Bel-Ray Foam Filter oil and it seems to work really well... water just beads and runs off my filter unless it is submergered.

dude, me too. we probably have similar conditions me and you, since i ride my yz250 up in vermont with a bunch of quad riders. I had a deep water situation yesterday and i was going to make a thread about it but i guess i'll just post it here.

there is this one mud hole we have out in the trails, it's about the gnarliest one we have here. it's about a quad wide, and maybe 40-50 feet long. a lot of quads have been swallowed up in this thing. it's pure black water, with varying depths, and you can't get a run at it because there is a hole right before it filled in with some logs and fallen tress to make a makeshift bridge. anyway to the point, it was even higher than usual with all the rain we've been having (you prob know what i'm talking about). my friend was watching me jump and i asked him as a joke if he wants to try it on his 4x4 quad. he says no, but then he jokingly asks me if i want to hit the mud pit. I put my new Maxxis SI on the other day, and i said yeah sure let's see. he didn't believe that i was gonna try it. so we go out to it, and he tries to do it with his 4x4 quad. normally he can do it, but the water was too high this time and he got stuck. i had to put my bike down and help him out. we get him out and he goes to turn around and i'm say, hey i didn't get to try it yet. he goes, there's no way you'll make it. I line up and hit, and just haul ARSE through this mud pit, flinging roost everywhere. im making it through fine, and i get to the last foot and the bike dies. DAM i think. i hope i didn't suck in this black water. i hope it's just steam. I wait for the steam to leave. try to kick it. no luck. then i look. I TURNED MY GAS OFF when i laid the bike over to help my friend get unstuck. turn the gas on, fire it up and hit the hole again.

so, case in point, IMO i think bikes are better in the mud. just don't let the bike fall over!!! and what are you running for tires? my bike is like a mud eating machine now that i put on this 120 wide Maxxis SI. i love it. i'd recommend it for you. but my trails might not be as rocky as yours.

the bike ran normally the rest of the day. and i pulled the filter out. it was dirty but not bad. I'm using Belrays Foam Filter oil as well. i think it's good stuff, really sticky and impossible to get off my hands with water so it seems pretty water repellent. i wouldn't do mud holes like that all day..... but it's nice to know that i can if i have too.

You gotta seal your airbox if you want to go through deep water. There's probably an intake at the very bottom of the box, so as soon as water is as high is your carb then water's getting into it.

Obviously don't seal the top, but silicone everything bellow that and you can take water up to the bottom of the seat. And make sur the boot is tight and crack free.

what do you mean by "seal your airbox". you mean like seal the two intake holes at the bottom?

If the body of water is short enough, wheelie through it to keep the bike higher. Stay on the throttle good always. Oil the heck out of the air filter. Take a plug wrench.

Hi guys newbie here from the UK, got and XR600. First post so be kind!

With regards deep water the other thing to think of is water not only entering the airbox but also sucked into the crank case breather pipe. :) This happened to me back in April when I had a Honda NX650 Dominator (common this side). I dropped it in about 18" of water, waster went straight into the airbox, managed to haul the bike out and cleaned out the airbox, filter was well gone as it was stodgy muddy water. We lifted the front end up and let most of the water drain from the exhausts but un-beknown to me the airbox has a pipe off the bottom that is part of the crank case breather pipe work. By the time I'd got it started and rode half way home (30 miles) the smoke out the back was like a smoke screen. Dumped the oil at a garage and it was white, at that point I realized that water had got into the engine cases and had blown the piston rings! Needless to say I scrapped the bike and bought my XR. This has no such attachments to the airbox (though the side panel would need to be sealed) and the crak=nk case breather is open so I'm going to get a filter for it or feed it out elsewhere, maybe to the back of the seat, like the superbikes used to do.DSCF3439.jpg

DSCF3445.jpg

DSCF3918.jpg

how do those slicks do in the mud? those are probably the worst choice of tires for mud lol

how do those slicks do in the mud? those are probably the worst choice of tires for mud lol

Was supposed to be farm tracks and fire tracks run but ended up going through some very bad trails that 4x4's had used. Was gonna change tyre the following week and this day out was a spur of the moment thing. Not gonna get caught out like that again!:)

Dang! ya beat me to it. Gotta admit Shuriken has some large ones for trying it though...Props to him!

i wish i had a video of me doing that hole. it was like the Blackwater 100.

speaking of the blackwater 100. i want to see that race. but i can't find it on video anywhere. internet or otherwise. same with the Moose Run.

If you can find links to those races could you post them? Got a few youtube vids of Baja 500 and 1000 and also the clips of "Throttle 1- 5", totally brilliant.

On my swimming lesson I wasn't expecting to get into any mud as we had been going down dry farm lanes. Tyres held up well I have to say, reason why I fell off was I hit a branch under the water, stopped me dead and I fell over:bonk: .It happens but next time I'll have proper tyres and not be so fool hardy!

That is not an intake. It should have a rubber boot with a slight opening or a flap. It is a drain for water that has gotten into your air cleaner housing.

That depends on the bike..... My RM just has a squarish baffled hole in the bottom. Which I would have to seal to run in deep water.

But, if you already have a rubber one way valve then you don't need to worry about it. Just make sure it's in good shape and functioning right.

what do you mean by "seal your airbox". you mean like seal the two intake holes at the bottom?

Again it depends on the bike and airbox. Some don't have a back and rely on the rear fender to close it off or have slots that bodywork fit into and can even have gaps where 2 halves of the box come together. In some cases there are intake holes in odd places. You just need to take a look and seal up everything except the top opening.

its funny , i was scrolling down hoping to find a narley mud tire on back.

I was thinking " No wonder you didnt make it!" 👍

its funny , i was scrolling down hoping to find a narley mud tire on back.

I was thinking " No wonder you didnt make it!" :worthy:

Funnily it wasn't the tyre that caused me to drown but the fact that I hit an obstacle under the water and the bike stopped and fell over. The mud was clay and very slippery so it just went over and down the air intake. The "puddle" was some 35 yrds long and I'd managed to get about 25 yrds along it.

We shouldn't have gone down the track when it started to get bad but being bravado thought why not. My mate was on a Honda XLV650 Transalp too!!! He went round the water, 👍

If the body of water is short enough, wheelie through it to keep the bike higher. Stay on the throttle good always. Oil the heck out of the air filter. Take a plug wrench.

+1 on the plug wrench. One afternoon last summer I lifted the front end up pretty high on my YZ250 at the start of a deep stream crossing and made it almost all of the way through on the rear wheel. Then I hit an even deeper section of the stream near the other side and took on too much cold water. We were riding upstream diagonally to make it over to the other side. Just as I rode up onto the top of the muddy bank the bike died out on me. It obviously could have been worse--as this could have happened while I was in that real deep section of water. I kicked it for a pretty good while and finally broke down and put a new spark plug in it. Fired up first kick and I finished out the day's ride. I changed the transmission oil the next day and put a clean, freshly oiled air filter in it as well. The bike has never given me any mechanical problems since then, so apparently no harm was done that day. One of my riding buddies wasn't quite as lucky that day, because his Suzuki DR-Z125 hydrolocked on him about halfway through the stream. His oil looked like a Jamocha milkshake when we changed it back at the truck, and his air filter must have weighed 10 lbs. from all of the water. 👍