Sign in to follow this  

Yet another freakin spooge question

So I know I am the 5,000,000th person on this forum posting about having a spooge problem but what’s one more huh?

I have an 06 YZ250 with the stock pipe and a PC spark arrestor. When I had the stock silencer I had no problems with spooge.

As it stands I am running stock jetting except the needle is in the first clip(top) rather than the third. That change did cut down on the spooge and made a noticeable difference in ¼ throttle response. A line of the black stuff was still running down the silencer after riding but I thought it just meant that the packing was saturated. I repacked the spark arrestor thinking it would make all the difference I needed. Unfortunately it did not-- I am still getting what I consider too much spooge running down the silencer. I ride at sea-level. What do you guys suggest I should change next- the pilot jet- the main or something else?

Thanks- I know these questions get old and yes I have read the jetting tips sticky- Just want some second opinions on what to do now.

First try the air screw. If you are 2 1/2 turns out or more then get a smaller pilot. Worst that could happen is it developes a bog down low. I would say 95% of the time spooge is from the pilot or needle. The needle will usually cause the engine to blubber at mid to high rpms if too rich.

When you lean the pilot/airscrew you may need to drop the clip on the needle one notch to prevent a bog in the low to mid range transition.

Get those areas ironed out and most likely your spooge will dissapear. The main should be leaned carefully as the penalty for too lean is much worse.

Did you read the stickie?? Sorry, i had to!

You might also change to a 1 step leaner pilot jet. If your slow slow riding you spend plenty of time on the pilot circuit.

Have you ever watched your own bike accelerate? It can be helpful for jetting. Notice the throttle positions and track when the bike starts blowing a ton of smoke.

Notice the throttle positions and track when the bike starts blowing a ton of smoke.

Besides blowing smoke when I start it for the first time- it does not blow smoke at all- does that mean anything? I think I am going to pop in the leaner pilot and see how that affects things. I HATE SPOOGE ON MY BIKE- Seriously

Luigic and I share the same jetting and we're spooge free in the NW.:)

N3EJ #2, 45PJ, 175MJ. We both run spark arrestors too (FMF Turbine Core 2 here). These make the bikes run richer therefore causing more spooge. I mix at 32:1 using Silkolene injector oil. I also use a pipe spacer and am runnnig the OEM piston with OEM reeds and pipe.

N3EJ #2, 45PJ, 175MJ. We both run spark arrestors too (FMF Turbine Core 2 here). These make the bikes run richer therefore causing more spooge. I mix at 32:1 using Silkolene injector oil. I also use a pipe spacer and am runnnig the OEM piston with OEM reeds and pipe.

That helps- is that the stock needle? I run 40:1. Were you spooge free without the pipe spacer? Thanks again

That helps- is that the stock needle? I run 40:1. Were you spooge free without the pipe spacer? Thanks again

That's the stock needle for you. Mine (07) came a smidge richer with the N3EW. Ya, I was spooge free before the pipe spacer. Now, I do get a little small ring around the tail pipe that I wipe down. However, no trail of oil. Rather it's a oil film, not black, but attracts dirt to it. It's a small spooge vapor I guess. It extends less than 1/2" surrounding the outlet of my TC2.

I run my 05 yz 250 50:1 with a fmf gnarly pipe and stock silencer! I have alot of spuge on the swing arm from the rubber seal or what ever you call it and some wetness at the end of the silencer (not running down). my needle is down 1 or up 1 witch ever leans it out what do i need to do!

If you still have the stock 50 pilot in there, ditch it and try the 48 and adjust the airscrew accordingly, this should eliminate most if not all the spooge. The 50:1 can be affectting this also as it is a richer fuel/air ratio and is cooling the engine more, if you are running tight trails you will not be able to generate enough heat to burn of the residual oil.

Also how long has it been since you did a rebuild(Topend, Reeds etc.)Trying to jet a worn out engine will be pointless

If none of this works keep an eye on your tranny fluid if your loseing fluid you probably have a clutch side crank seal going out and pulling tranny fluid in

Also don't forget about the Jetting sticky up top

So I know I am the 5,000,000th person on this forum posting about having a spooge problem but what’s one more huh?

It's just more spooge in the forum is what it is. :)

I had a similar problem. Read the sticky. Searched and read relevant threads. Bought a JD Jetting kit...rejetted per all that advice. End of spooge 'cept for the spooge being posted here.

YMMV

You've got some good advice so far, but I didn't hear mention of your elevation or current temps, that info. is important for those trying to help you with jetting. While rich jetting can result in spooge, don't assume it's the only contributer. When jetting I think the main focus should always be on performance, pay a lot of attention to what the motor is telling you, and much less to the amount of oil on your silencer. From what you've posted so far, my guess is your rich both on the pilot and main. If you really want to learn, I recommend changing one thing at a time, make those changes in small steps, and take notes along the way. Unfortunately that process requires a fair amount of time. On the other hand wholesale changes can quickly lead to better performance and less spooge, but in the end you learn very little.

well the bike only has around 40hrs on it! the bike runs great just spooging however my buddy has the same bike but with stock pipe and we do run different oil and his doesn't do it as bad? I live in Kentucky and I really don't know the altitude? Should i just clean it up and ride or what do yall think??

well the bike only has around 40hrs on it! the bike runs great just spooging however my buddy has the same bike but with stock pipe and we do run different oil and his doesn't do it as bad? I live in Kentucky and I really don't know the altitude? Should i just clean it up and ride or what do yall think??

Without knowing what you've got for jetting, its hard to help if you've still got the stock jetting in there you're probably rich. Also like Hallsy said altitude/elevation and temperature play a part also, there used to be a altitude/elevation sticky in the jetting section all you have to do is enter your zipcode.

its all stock other that the clip on the needle being moved! Ive never fouled a plug and it runs great so can i just leave it and deal with it?

Thanks for hijacking my post Shoulder:p :):D

Just kidding.

Hey Shrub- so do you think I ought to start with just changing the pilot or should I just go ahead and switch out the pilot and the main at the same time since that seems to work for you? I Mainly just do slow-guy track riding. Gratzi

its all stock other that the clip on the needle being moved! Ive never fouled a plug and it runs great so can i just leave it and deal with it?

Yes you can

Thanks for hijacking my post Shoulder:p :):D

Just kidding.

Hey Shrub- so do you think I ought to start with just changing the pilot or should I just go ahead and switch out the pilot and the main at the same time since that seems to work for you? I Mainly just do slow-guy track riding. Gratzi

If it were me i'd change out the pilot 1st then the main, if your doing slow track rideing your probably running on the the pilot and the needle

....I have an 06 YZ250 with the stock pipe and a PC spark arrestor. When I had the stock silencer I had no problems with spooge....

just like you, had no spooge problems even on stock jetting with the stocker pipe combo.

....but i still rejetted to 45 pilot and 172 main jets, and throttle response was even more touchy, which i'm loving :worthy:

....took the 172 main, as suggested by RCannon after my personal enquiry, because at 178 main, the bike's power is flat on top... 172 main changed all that, power-wise, that translated to a longer top-end pull :) .... but ever since had no problems with spooge :D

my premix ratio is 32 : 1 with motul 710 2T or 40 : 1 with motul 800 2T, whichever is available. i'm using 96-octane pump gas.... temperature here around 80-100 degrees F, daytime.

Well i have a 06 yz250 and i was getting alot of spooging also. I bought the bike used. It had a FMF Fatty and Shorty silencer. Main jet was 172, pilet was 50(Stock) neddle was at 2nd clip from top(Stock) and mixture screew at 1-1/4. I put on a FMF turbine core II and the spoog started flowing. I did a top end (not because of spoog , because it needed it) still spoog.Brought the pilet to a 48 still spoog, then a 45 still spoog. PLayed with the neddle clip still nothing.So i was starting to think it was a defective silencer.So i put the shorty back on and gess what no spoog.Called FMF they told me to repack it.I was like it did this on the first ride.So i was planing to install Boyesen Reeds on the bike. When i removed the stock ones i noticed the corner of 1 of them was a little chewed up. I installed the new ones, repacked my silencer and now NO SPOOG. I should only did 1 think at a time but i think it was the reeds causiong the problum all along. Check your reeds. I hope this helps.

Thanks for hijacking my post Shoulder:p :):ride:

Just kidding.

My account was disabled.:D Because the password wasn't strong enough.:worthy:

Now I have a new identity but would like to go back to my old self too.

Do one jet change at a time. I'd start with the PJ first. Next do the needle jet changes if you don't already have N3EJ #2. Lastly do the MJ if needed. Not all bikes are the same even though they ride same elevation/temp - they're still different in their exact response to jetting.