Sign in to follow this  

Long Lasting Sprocket/Chain Question

This is half of in part because i need a new chain but ive gone through 4 sprockets in one season of racing. im planing on getting the D.I.D 520 VM X-Ring chain but i need to find a sprocket that will last me a long time and not kill my wallet. Sidewinder Titanium II is "garenteed for life" it says on the website against wearing out, does anyone know what they mean by wearing out, is that just the teeth wearing down or does that include breaking teeth or what? also what is another long lasting sprocket that? im not concerned about wieght but am about cost. the sidewinder costs $170, is it worth it or do i go with an ironman or renthal twinring, tag or what? also im not positive that im going with the did vm x-ring chain. there is also the did ev2 or ev3 gold chain and sidewinders smart chain. im just looking for a long lasting chain and sprocket combo that wont run me an arm and a leg. i do realize that it will cost a bunch but if it holds up for a long time then i will be okay with it down the road. thanks for the help. also what is the best chain for motocross? O or X ring? im liking the D.I.D VM X-Ring and i found it at a place for cheap $80 instead of the $105 in motosport outlet. it says it has a 1.5-2 times greater wear resistance than o ring

The ironman sprocket is a beast! A season and a half of riding on mine and it still looks brand new. No visible wear or scratches on it. Not to mention the sprocket was only slightly heavier than the aluminum that came off of my bike.

I wouldn't recommend the Regina Z-ring chain though. Very tough chain but also a little too stiff. Not sure how much of a difference it makes at the wheel but it has to be making a difference. I can't complain too much though, it barely stretches and when I clean it, it still looks brand new.

Right now on my 08 CRF250R, the OEM sprockets are still good - I just stuck on a Regina ORN6 o ring chain before even riding it. I now have 73.1 hrs on them. The chain has hardly worn... I think I may just go with another Regina ORN6 when I stick my ironmans on (that is when my stock sprockets and chain finally wear out).

---So I don't think you can go wrong with the Regina ORN6 O ring chain. It should last you well over 100 hrs.

also what is the best chain for motocross? O or X ring? im liking the D.I.D VM X-Ring and i found it at a place for cheap $80 instead of the $105 in motosport outlet. it says it has a 1.5-2 times greater wear resistance than o ring

I have heard good things about the DID VM X ring chain... Just check and see what type of master link it has... If it is a rivet one you will need to get the tool for that. --- Personally I like the clip type master links, easy to take apart when needed. The Regina ORN6 O ring chain is good, I ride MX and trails with it. Lasting a long time so far. --- Regina has X ring chains as well, and you have the choice to use the clip type master links.

And Definitely use the Ironman sprockets :)

I love my 520 VM X-ring. I have had it for about seven months now, and I usually go riding every weekend in a lot of sand, mud, and water. It has only been adjusted twice - never seen another chain perform like that.

My sprockets are from JT and are just plain steel. Cheapos and they are showing very little wear either. I'll go with this setup again.

• Like 1

Sidewinder chain and sprockets

Or dirt tricks sprockets and regina 520 chain. I have over 120 hours on my dirt tricks ones. Look brand new

any other thoughts?

Make sure the chain is adjusted properly. A chain that's too tight will wear-out and stretch very fast. 👍