Sign in to follow this  

MCCCT Trail Maps/Snowmobile Trails?

Hey Michigan Riders!

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a Trail Map of the MCCCT? I have looked all over the internet trying to find a detailed map with no luck. I have seen the aerial view of the whole state with the trail marked on it, but I would like a more detailed map.

Well anyways, I have a street legal XR650R with an ORV sticker on her and my question is... Can I ride on marked snowmobile trails? I think I can, but would rather find out before the truth before I try it and get a ticket from the DNR.

Thanks ion advance,

Derek

:)

I have a street legal XR650R with an ORV sticker on her and my question is... Can I ride on marked snowmobile trails?

Snowmobile trails use county roads, forest roads and private roads. You are legal on the first two since you are plated. Not legal where the trail uses private property. There are specific areas that are closed on State land too, such as many of the old RR grades that snowmobiles use during their season.

The USFS has implemented new rules regarding which roads are open to motorized vehicles - they have not designated all of their snowmobile trails as open to street legal vehicles (these used to be open). So when you are on National Forest land, you need to know if the road is allowed for non-sled traffic.

I've built my maps to help me know this information as it's the type of riding I do frequently. I can glance at the GPS screen and know if it's a county road, if it's a forest road, if it's on private land or if it's an open USFS forest road.

The National Forests have the Motor Vehicle Use Maps available on their site which show the roads that are open to wheeled vehicles. I don't know of a good [available] source that shows both land ownership as well as county roads though - which is why I built my own (which are the VVMapping maps; sorry to sound like an advertisement, just hate to tell you the "rules" for what's legal and then not tell you what tools are out there to help stay legal).

MCCCT information (video, picts, maps, etc.):

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/MCCCT.html

Ya I have seen that sight before and liked it a lot. Looks like a GPS is in order. :) I like the Garmin 60 series a lot and have checked them out before.

2TrakR did you create those maps and website by yourself?

Derek

:D

2TrakR did you create those maps and website by yourself?

Yes, VVMapping is my company/project.

You can purchase the MCCCT on a disc from CCC of MI--we used it two years ago and had a ball. It has other info on it as well and when used with a topo CD it tells all you need to know. If you have a plate you can go anywhere and you MUST be plated to ride the MCCCT.