Sign in to follow this  

Pic of bad head, Advice needed

suzuki_head.jpg

Take a look at that damage. Could this be repaired by a good machine shop or am I going to have to find a new head? Any idea what would cause this? The right valve is very cupped and looks thin as well. If it can be welded and fixed, who would do a good job?

Disclaimer: not my bike, a friends 2005 RMZ450

Thanks,

Cy

Looks like the head gasket was leaking and it got really hot right there? It looks ruined to me, but Im not a mechanic.

Dude - clean it up (kero bath, steel wool) put it all back together (make sure u take out the valves and clean them all up and make sure they move up and down smoothly) fire it up and sell it!!!

2005 is an old model by todays standard. You dont want that problem, the money you spend fixing that thing isnt worth it.

OK, mental note: never buy a used bike from shanetrane or crusruss. But, seriously, i understand were you are coming from, my recomendation to him was to part it out, we'll see what he decides.

Thanks,

Cy

about the only thing that could maybe be done is have it weld filled and then clean it back up with a die grinder and carbide bit.

That head is trashed....Honestly, by the looks of it, it would not survive the test ride by the potential buyer/victim. Even if it does, you will be getting a phone call shortly from him, and you had better hope the guy aint a NRA member if you know what i mean

That can be fixed. But not by any machine shop, one like Pro-Circuit or Millennum. And while they are there, have the valves replaced with a good set of stainless steel valves. And then enjoy the bike for another summer and save up for another bike.

Even a year old bike could still show this level of wear, so fix it and continue to ride it.