Sign in to follow this  

Removing a clip-type master link

Hi Guys:

Just recently turned orange after riding a 06 WR450 for the last few years. Got myself a 08 300XC and love it so far!

The dealer made me buy an aftermarket chain guide; said the stock one would blow up on 1st impact. I see a clip-style master link and think this will be an easy fix, however I pulled the clip off and can't seem to get the master link apart. Am I missing something? I read something about RTV adhesive being used when putting it back together, is this thing glued and need to be forced apart?

Sorry about the lame question, but I can't seem to find an answer on this one.

Cheers!

He made you buy a chain GUIDE? Whattt? Chain guides dont blow up...and I have no idea how they would take an impact. Are you talking about the black guide that is bolted to the top of the swingarm where the chain "rests" near the front sprocket? Are you talking about the chain rollers? Are you talking about the guide/guard on the bottom of the swingarm by the rear sprocket? What do you mean by master link? The chains master link? If you are talking about the chain itself then read below. Let me know. Hope I can help.

If you are talking about the chain itself-

The masterlink on the chain itself wont be glued. Sometimes they arent exactly the right size, or sometimes the coating makes it a little tighter if its new. When you take the clip off you should be able to get the side of the link right off. You might need to pry it a little bit *BUT* make sure you pry a little bit here and a little bit there, keep changing the position that you are prying from otherwise it might start coming off unevenly and be even harder to get off..not to mention the fact that you might bend it. Use a little WD-40 or PB Blaster. You can get a pair of plyers to hold the middle of the piece and pull it off, just make sure you support the rest of the chain so that the whole chain doesnt come toward you when you're pulling.

Also if you loosen the chain up a bit and give yourself some slack you can rotate the chain slightly and you should see the pin/pins rotating while the pice you are trying to get off is stationary. This will show you that it isnt glued on. The chain is ment to bend around your sprockets and if it was glued, the chain would bind up. I think you are referring to the fact that sometimes the CLIP is glued on so that it doesnt pop off. While you are rotating the pins that piece might be easier to pop off.

the side plates are a press fit and you need to move the pins back a little. If you dont have a press then you can rotate it so the link is on the top of rear sprocket and pry on it a little there, or use a light tap from a small hammer on the ends of the pins to break the tight bond. A C clamp may help as will LARGE pliers. Getting it back together is also hard to do.

Here is a link to a chain press tool that I use for installing the master link on an O-Ring chain:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/view/mini_chain_press_tool/

Here is a link to a chain breaker. These work great if you have to remove links from a chain. I used to use a grinder but this is much better, and you can carry it in your fanny pack.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/view/chain_breaker/

That's awesome guys, thanks for the help! (now I guess jetting will be another story...)

Cheers!

Just out of curiosity, what other sorts of masterlinks are there? I've only ever had one with a clip.

My chain breaker and press both came from Rockymountainmc.com and weren't expensive. Getting the clip off usually takes a pair of needlenose and a few cusswords, but even a chick can figure it out eventually :)

I use the rivet on master links.

Yea, this is the only other kind. They are popular with street bikes.

I prefer the clip style so removal of the chain is possible. With a riveted master link, you have to break the link and install a new link every time you remove it.