Sign in to follow this  

Scuffing speed off of jumps!

I have been facinated by this for a long time, how to properly scuff speed off at jumps? It looks pretty cool but when you try to do it it is a bit scary.

Do you ride straight into the jump and then turn at the top or go straight till you reach the jump then turn?

still trying to master that one.

Al

Its hard to explain, you want to hit the jump at a very slight angle and turn into the face of the jump

Your English is better than my Guamanian. Most people do the technique you are describing by coming at the jump at an angle, then leaning and turning as they go up the face of the jump. The lean is a result of the turn, and the tires start to wash out (scuff or scrub) just before going into the air. The hardest part of the technique is getting the bike back in line for the landing. Learn the basics of this skill on small jumps where you take off and land with the bike leaned over in a turn.

Its hard to explain, you want to hit the jump at a very slight angle and turn into the face of the jump

That's the easy part. The hard one is bringing the bike straight back before landing !

Last Saturday a guy in front of me didn't and started swapping like crazy. I was amazed he saved it. Had it been me I would have been in a lot of hurt :)

don't scuff speed, scuff lift. You want to keep moving fast, but get back on the ground sooner.

As far as scrubbing goes everything people are saying is right, but it's a lot easier said than done. Scrubbing does start on the face of the jump. Definitely start small when learning.

If you'd rather not be sideways in the air a safer alternative would be to keep going straight and use your body to "absorb" the energy of the jump to keep you lower.

Here's my sorry attempt at it.

It may look like I'm trying to scrub, and I might be, but I can't scrub...Anyway you can see how you have to keep your body low off the face of the jump rather than letting the bike lift off. Your body should move down on the face as your bike moves up. This way your body pushes back down after the jump tries to push up. This way you get on the ground sooner and can get back on the gas!

Ok , My bad, not scuffing,

reducing lift, and some speed over a jump to no go so far or high, while still traveling the same speed into the jump.

I will give it some try's on small stuff and see what happens,

Ok , My bad, not scuffing,

reducing lift, and some speed over a jump to no go so far or high, while still traveling the same speed into the jump.

I will give it some try's on small stuff and see what happens,

its called "scrubbing"

I find even if you can't get the bigtime "show scrub" it doesn't matter.... every little bit helps. You don't have to be fully sideways for you to scrub off lift, so just start small and eventually they get better and more effective :)

To do what I do below, I basicly came up to the face at an angle and just leaned and turned into it, it feels really weird for the bars to hit full lock right as the wheel is lifting off the ground but once you do it a few times it's not too bad. I also was trying to "roll" the bike flat with my right arm. This is a pretty novice "scrub" I would say, but I can definately feel it helps keep the bike lower. I am going to try to start doing it off bigger jumps and spots where I have more air time to see if I can really get it more flat and kicked out sideways.

DSCN1575.jpg

So you go at the face at a slight angle. At the very tip of the jump, BEFORE you are in the air, you turn the bars to the direction in which you came which should cause the front end to wash out at the last second? How fast do you need to be going for it to work and how small of a jump can you do it on?

Thanks

^^Basically, that's how its done. It will work at most any speed and any jump from a single whoop to a big tabletop. You can learn it on really small jumps because the bike doesn't have as much time to get too far out of shape in the air. In a race situation, though, you mostly want to scrub the larger jumps. Scrubbing really small jumps that can easily be over-jumped is usually a waste of time. The time lost in setting up the angle and recovering the bike offsets any gain from staying low on tiny hits. That brief second of lost acceleration while you're getting the bike back in line at the landing can hurt you on jumps with little airtime. I pass lots of riders who try to scrub small jumps that they should be hitting wide-open and over-jumping. RC has passed Bubba on big jumps in the same way. Not every jump should be scrubbed.

OK. I just didn't want to go TOO slow and go to turn the bars and my bike stop. I'll probably try it in a low rev 3rd.

Clear the 60ft table

Go for the triple 50ft tables

Completely clear the camel-back

Go through the sandy berms in 2nd

Clear 50ft step-up

Jump 110ft ski jump

Practice scrubbing and whipping

SOOOOO much to do this Sunday.

Im not sure how well you can tell in this vid because of the angle. But I am basically soaking up the bike and kicking it a little sideways over the table with the sign and the double. You can see how much lower I am than the guy in front of me.

I think applying that technique is risky and totally unnecessary unless you are only a couple of seconds slower than Stewart. (just an example) :)

I think applying that technique is risky and totally unnecessary unless you are only a couple of seconds slower than Stewart. (just an example) :)

You will never be able to get above C class then

They may not be doing it as much, but I've never noticed anyone other than 22, 7, and 4 doing big scrubs or whips.

They all can, they just don't need to show it off. The same thing can be accomplished by soaking the jump up with your legs and turning into the face, that is what I was talking about