Sign in to follow this  

"PERFORMANCE"----- from new clutch!?!?

I just installed an ENTIRE new clutch. Hinson basket, Pro-X inner hub, DPK friction plates, DPK steel discs, DPK springs and bolts. The inner hub is stronger but the weight seems exactly the same, the Hinson basket weighs the same, the steel discs are replacing steel discs(not aluminum!), the springs are definitely stiffer but they arent heavy springs. I think the old ones were just worn. The friction plates are definitely much much better quality and I have no idea if there is a weight difference.

Point being- A guy at the local track is telling me that the bike will feel much more powerful. It was not slipping at all before(that I noticed) and I replaced eveything becuase the inner hub was worn and grooved and made the clutch drag all the time. The plates still had some life and the springs werent terrible, but I just decided to replace everything since I was working on the clutch. He claims that the clutch starts lightly slipping under power after a while even if the friction plates have life, and that when I replace everything it will have a noticible power increase... This doesnt seem to be something I would believe, but I cant be certain becuase I always replace the friction plates OFTEN.

Is there any truth to his statement?

Thats what I thought. I have replaced plently of clutches and I dont notice a single thing unless I change the springs for heavier ones. I figured I would ask since I have never really run into a clutch problem before and although they plates still had decent life, I have usually replaced them before they even got to this point. I have to admit, it was a little exciting to hear that this... ROCKET of a 125 might actually have even more power than I knew.

there may be some slight slip that is more than the normal slight slip, but I doubt any one could FEEL it, a dyno could measure it tho.