Sign in to follow this  

The Dunes

Ive been thinking about taking my bike to the dunes. I used to have a sick banshee and would drag at pismo dunes all the time and see dirt bike riders struggling. I have talked to some guys and many have said not to do it because it puts to much stress on the motor. It makes some sense because of all of the high reving to get you going. What do you guys think?

Yes and no. You can take it easy and be fine. I have not taken my 250f out yet, but know people who have and had no problems. I would suggest a paddle if you go though. Also, use a filter skin or some foam in the airbox to keep sand away from the filter. Riding in the sand is not hard, so if the people you saw were struggling, they would probably struggle on any surface.

Run A 6 Paddle , Keep Your Filter Fresh , And Have Fun. Your Bike Will Do Fine For The Most Part. Depending On Your Size Your Bike Might Not Make It Up Everything Or Go Every Where But For The Most Part It Will Do Just Fine

Oh ya - a 250f, especially at sea level is made for the dunes. If you dont use a paddle, just ensure that your beadlock is on correctly and air way down. Air down the front a bit too - too much and you will pinch flat, too little and it will dig in - probably like the guys you see having trouble.

I ride a lot of dunes and have a CR125, CR250F and CR450F. I run a 6 paddle on the 125, an 8 paddle on the 250F and a 10 on the 450. A 6 paddle slips a lot - i'd rather run a dirt tire with 0psi on a 250F than a 6 paddle.

Y, my 125 is working hard in the dunes (have to keep it on the pipe) but a 250F is at home, cruising around, easy. and we usually ride at 1200 feet elevation. A 450 is just like icing on the cake - more power than you know what to do with. We've been to dumont, glamis, coral pink, etc - the 250s will climb any dune and are easy to ride. The 450's are just more fun (comp hill on one wheel in 5th gear is pretty cool)...

My brother used to ride a kx500 in sand, but now rides a YZ250F because he doesn't like to pull his arms off anymore. His 250F has enough power to lift the wheel in 3 gears, including across the side of a dune. My wife rides a 250F and keeps up with the big bores no prob (although she complains about being in 5th gear wide open a lot - we just installed a 280 kit so i could gear it down for her)

Here's a video of some 250Fs at sahara - as you can see, no problems :D See if you can guess which bike is the 450 (i'll give you a hint, its the one that wouldn't notice if it didn't have a front tire)SaharatogeVideo

Have fun bro and lift a wheel for me... :)

• Like 1

Good write up davis! I have ridden the my 450 in the sand, but not my 250f, I am going in September. I was told to use a 6 paddle for the 250f and would not have a problem with slipeage or at least noticable slipage; you want some. Also I have an '06 with dual pipes and would worry the 8 paddle would hit the exhaust, not a lot of extra room in there. I will plan on airing down and hope for the best.

I am unable to view the video (it is just buffering).

Thanks, I've used a lot of tires, so i'm just trying to help without being pushy :) 6 vs 8 depends on your riding style - if you wrap it against the rev limiter, use the 6. if you like the low end grunt, use the 8.

The AMS Sand Snake tire is pretty much the lowest profile dune tire i've seen. I had one on a 2006 crf250r with no probs. I put a 10paddle on an aprilia (which is really tight in the swingarm). Kings tire is the worst for clearance on a tight swingarm, but it has the ribs on the side, gives you more stability in corners. Most peple run the cheng shin... its cheap, but it grows a lot at high speed and rubs. It doesn't wear fast, but a tire rubbing on your swingarm feels like brakes...

Take off your mudflap with a paddle - they all grow under speed and if you don't take if off, it will be torn off. Put a piece of duct tape on your spring coils to protect the shock shaft from the sand.

Take off your mudflap with a paddle - they all grow under speed and if you don't take if off, it will be torn off. Put a piece of duct tape on your spring coils to protect the shock shaft from the sand.

Another good point from davis......The paddle will tear these things off or at very least break it. When you put duct tape on the spring, make sure the bike is on a stand so the tires or off the ground; you don't want the spring to be compressed or else it will tear it off when you jump.

Oh ya - a 250f, especially at sea level is made for the dunes.

No it isn't.

On a 125/250f run 6 paddles.

On a 250/450f run 8 paddles.

Modded 450f/500's run 10 paddles.

500's on alcohol run 12 paddles.

Whatever psi you want in the front. I use 10psi.

No less than 15psi in the rear.

Watch your gas.

Watch your rev limiter.

Watch out for other people.

Make sure your rim locks are tight.

Bring water.

Bring lots of gas.

Bring extra whips(flags) because you WILL break them.

Bleed your forks when you get there.

Lock up your bikes+gas+grill+etc at night.

Have fun!

just got home from the oregon dunes,my 04 WR250f did good with a 8 paddle,but my 14 year old on his 07 CRF250r rallied with a new Kings turbo 8 paddle( but he only weighs 100 pounds)👍

I ran a 6 paddle and 8 paddle on my yz250f in Glamis, and I prefered the 6.

It spun up a little bit more, but put less stress on the motor.

Dont get me wrong the 8 paddle did the trick, I just felt like I lost a bit of bottom-end snap.

edit: I weigh 150lbs

I ran a 6 paddle and 8 paddle on my yz250f in Glamis, and I prefered the 6.

It spun up a little bit more, but put less stress on the motor.

Dont get me wrong the 8 paddle did the trick, I just felt like I lost a bit of bottom-end snap.

edit: I weigh 150lbs

Yep, thats because on a 125 or 250f there is just too much demanded with an 8 paddle.

Will it WORK? Yes.

Will a 12 paddle WORK on a 125 or 250f? Yes.

Most effective? No.