Sign in to follow this  

Clarke tank petcock problem?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

This is interesting. My friend Brian bought a big Clarke tank to replace the teeny stocker on his '94 DR350ES so he could do longer trips with me('04 DR-Z 400S with Clarke 3.9 gal). Problem is that the petcock location prevents him from using all the gas in the tank, believe it or not, when all the gas is used up in reserve, there's probably two liters(guessing here, haven't actually measured) in the wings of the tank below the reserve level of the stock petcock he swapped out from the old tank. Did we miss something? Is there a petcock specifically designed for this tank? Otherwise the only way to get the last of the reserve gas out would be to wheelie for 50 km!!!! We've been pondering some kind of mod to the petcock, just testing the waters to see if anyone else has run into this and what they did to correct it? Thanks for the reply.

Why not just use a Yamaha Road Star manual petcock? So far, I've replaced the Mikuni vacume petcock on my Triumph Bonneville(now sold), and 2 Urals with the Yamaha petcock.

Costs about 25.00, flows as good as a Pingel, and will work on an aftermarket tank, as long as the original would work.

I've got one coming for the IMS tank, I've also got coming....nothing worse than a vacume diaphram failing, or the line developping an air leak, and running the engine lean. I like manual petcocks.

The petcock isn't the issue, the location of it is. Even after you've used all the reserve, there's probably 1-2 litres still in the tank, in the wings below the level of the petcock. Thanks for the advice though.