Sign in to follow this  

got a yz125 woo hoo! bogging, what do I do?

Finally got one!! Just picked it up from the docks today, when I got it home, I was excited and wanted to take it for a spin around the block before I went to work and found out I couldnt even get it to idle. It sounds super rich and in fact was bogging so bad that I couldnt even get the revs up to get moving in gear. I did use choke for a few seconds initially on the first start up but turned it off right away and kept the revs up enough to keep it running, warmed it up for a couple of minutes and started to rev slightly higher and higher and this is when I noticed something wasnt right.

This is my very first 2 stroke bike so I am clueless, I had to head to work so wasnt able to do anything at all, the first thing I'll probably check is the spark plug and then the carb but wanted to get your expertise on what initial steps I should take to remedy this issue. I read the " is your 2 stroke running rich" thread and will get to that but I believe this is much more than just a running rich issue. Also how can I tell it's just a fuel issue and not something worse like the piston and or ring etc?? Bike is aesthetically in almost like new shape and previous owner said it was not ridden hard at all just playing in the back yard. Of course he could be full of it but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Where do I start??

Pull the carb apart, spray it down with cleaner and report back with jet sizes. Also check the air screw and set it to 2 turns out.

dont quote me on this but i think "boggin" is a result of too lean and "hesitation" or stutter is too rich, id start with new plug,then clean carb or rejet, i moved my clip on the needle up one (to lean it) and runs beutiful now, it was too rich and was stuttering but not bogging.

air screw and pilot jet is 0-1/4 throttle.....needle jet is 1/4-3/4 throttle and main jet is full throttle they all sort of overlap each other

u can get an idea on piston/piston ring by the kickstarter

hope this helps:ride:

thanks, I don't think I'm going to have a chance to check it out until Monday. I will check those things out first, I can't wait to get it running, I'm itching to ride it!

what year 125 is it?

I got a used yz125 and had to go down 5 sizes on my pilot jet

It's an 05, according to the previous owner, everything is totally stock. I

still havent had a chance to mess with it yet....

finally had some time today, pulled the plug, it was black and oily, was still ok though, cleaned it up and put it back in for now since I didn't pick up another one yet. Luckily turned out it was just the pilot screw which was all the way in! So I set it at just over 2 turns out and it started right up with a couple of kicks, got to ride it around the block a few times and was great!!! Thanks!

I do have another question which is off topic and possibly a stupid question, I have worked on other bikes (Harley) swapping out Triple Trees etc. but the issue of being off center never came up so I'm not sure what's needed to be done and I didn't notice anything about this in the manual but my bars are offset a few degrees to the right, at first I thought the handlebar was possible bent but while riding, the whole clamp/fork assembly plus the bars are aiming in the same direction which is a few degrees right while the bike is going straight. How do I adjust this?

pretty sure you just loosen up the top & bottom clamps, adj the bars to front wheel and RE-torque botls to proper specs......