Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke POWER-------- before blow up

I have a compression tester and I use it often. I have NEVER blown up an engine. A friend just blew up his bike and I finished repairing it for him today. He asked me a question that I didnt have the answer to and was actually ashamed at this fact since I consider myself to be pretty knowledgable about all two strokes. He asked "why do two strokes run so much stronger when they are just about to blow up?". I thought about it for a minute and couldnt figure it out. They run leaner and have less compression when the top end is worn...so it wasnt a question that I could even give an opinion about since it doesnt make sense to me. I have heard this countless times but I have never witnessed it myself.

SO...how and why does this occur?

Never seen it myself - they run slower and lose power noticeably in my experience.

anyone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that because it gets leaned out there's not as much oil in the motor and that leads to it running hotter and the piston's/rings expanding leading to more compression

Just talking to dad who was a mechanic a while ago.

He said that a two stroke will run harder as it gets leaner, but if it gets too lean, BANG!

Also, because of the wear, there is less friction, so it runs harder, and the engine runs leaner/harder. That's his opinion anyway.

It would only run stronger before blowing up if the problem was caused by lack of oil :)