Sign in to follow this  

Which to buy? Honda 450X or 650R? Your Opinion?

Hey Everybody im knew to Thumper Talk and im going to introduce myself by hopefully prying some answers out of you. :)

So im looking to buy a new woods bike for my offroad excursions and im caught in between a 2008 XR650R or a 2008 CRF450X. The reason for this dilemma is that i need a woods/trail bike to replace my (well my fathers to be honest haha) 03 XR650R. I really want a bike that hauls ass on the gravel roads but is also a torque monster in the tight stuff. Im 6'2' 185 LBS and can handle the XR in the woods single tracks pretty decent (not that i like pullin that pig (650) around haha). Basically im wondering is the CRF450X faster?, will i be impressed? If the 450X is just a hair faster is it worth the price premium over the 650R? Which is the better bike? If you do happen to think the 450X is better, is the WR450 dare i say better than the Honda? (ha im a Honda fan not because i know why but because im an impressionable 15 year old who listens to his father talk about Honda power haha Just thought id share that)

So what would you do and why?

Thanks

Austin

for tight woods you want the 450X. The 450 is way faster and easier to handle in the woods. The 650 will outlast the topend of the 450 by about 10 years, though :) The 650's are absolutely bulletproof and not as much high maintance like the 450.

Woods riding- 450x hands down.

Long distance-dual sport- 650r.

IMO

450x actually turns and is less fatigue-ing. Carries its weight much better.

And dont forget the magic button- worth its weight in gold.

Can you get an 08 XR650?

I own both and know each one well.

I rarely ride the 650 anymore except for pre-running and dual-sports.

Woods riding- 450x hands down.

Long distance-dual sport- 650r.

IMO

450x actually turns and is less fatigue-ing. Carries its weight much better.

And dont forget the magic button- worth its weight in gold.

Can you get an 08 XR650?

I own both and know each one well.

I rarely ride the 650 anymore except for pre-running and dual-sports.

No, they quit making them on 07

Welcome Austin!!

Like others giving you great advice... I too used to own and ride a 650R. And since, moved to a 450X. There are times I'd love BOTH... but honestly, once I had the 450X... it's a great bike (all around). And yes, you do give up a bit of the cadillac feel (going to a 450X) for those long smooth rides, but benefit from the 650Rs tractor torque.

If I had both sitting in front of me, same price, same/same...

I'd pick the 450X.

(I ride mostly desert, and little woods/technical - and I'm 6'2" and 205lbs)

:)

I love the BRP but it's just too much bike for the type of riding I do mostly. No DS rides just lots of washes, ravines, canyons, jeep trails, and some single track boonedoggling. I also dabble in desert racing and find the 450X about as perfect as perfect could be for that. Stone reliable (with OEM stator LOL!!) and will get with the program when needed. It sucks up the ugly stuff nicely and that's a huge asset when I'm tired especially. I can ride the 450X longer and faster with less fatigue.

I went from a 650r to a 450x. The bikes are so completely different as to not be comparable. The 650 is hugely powerful, and wicked fast, but doesnt really feel like it. The 450x feels quicker, lighter and is much more responsive. The 650 required a bit of "lead time" when negotiating technical woods trails. In comparison, the 450x does what you want when you merely think about it. It was a bit to get used to, that 450x. But I simply couldnt see myself going back to the 650 for anything but long, fast dessert rides. I think it has a big edge there, but NOWHERE else. The 450 has it all over the 650 in 95% of all riding situations. Go 450x and you will never look back. Go 650r and you will long for the lighter, more nimble, more explosive 450x.

I want whats in Yanni's Garage..But I'd go with the X... More to maintain..but not that bad... and well worth the ride..

I love XR's don't get me wrong..But the X is just a different bike and it sounds like it would be more to your liking..and riding style..

I rode my 650 for 5 years in all kinds of terrain, never had a problem or bad day riding in 25K miles. But the 450x is still a much more versitile bike. The XRs 320lbs startred to get old too.

I have both and love both. They are very different bikes. You will spend more $ on the X in the long run, so that could a key factor.

For the tight stuff the X is lighter and turns quicker, plus the magic button is magic!

For long days on more open terrain, the XR shines, and costs less to operate. If your XR is dialed like mine, you can start it in flip flops.

Based on you dad having an 03 XR, I would lean towards to X, and you guys can switch off during your rides.

Best of Luck. It is a tough decision.

I am lucky enough to not have to choose, I have both, and my XR has a plate.:)

Tough call. I love my 650R, but it is a heavy pig. There are no two ways around that. The plus side of the R is that if you are addicted to bottom end torque, this is your fix. An X cannot produce grunt like a 650R. The R has legs, and is much smoother over longer distances. If setup right, even with a high compression piston and cam you can start it in sandals. As for reliability the XR is the claw hammer of the dirt bike world.

The X's advantages are of course the lighter weight and the best part of all: the button. E-start can make it all worth it. The X has more snap to the motor, especially with just a few well done and simple mods. There can be more maintenance to the X long term, but that is just something you have to accept with modern four strokes. If you go all out and go with an R cam, etc..., the X makes for a phenomenal race bike.

If you want to throw the WR in, IMO the WR is better at the slow speed stuff than the X, but as soon as you can get the bikes out of second gear, the X will blow it away. The WRs don't like higher speeds nearly as much as the Hondas.

I am heading to Lucerne for the first Nat'l H&H in 2009 followed by a week of vacation in the dez with my dad. I will be taking two bikes. I'll be riding the 650R all week when on "vacation", but I'll be racing something that is much lighter with electric start in the National.

I've also owned an XR650R and now a 450X. By far, the X makes me feel like a better rider. It's much lighter to manuver around things and is just as quick as the old 650. The only gripe is what I'm reading here, the 650 is more comfortable and stable on a straight away. :)

why buy an 650r over a 450X? I dig both XR 650's I have ridden for the past 8 years but now I can't sell the pig. I bought a '06 450X and see no reason to ride a 650 unless for Baja. The 450 is versatile and more fun in the long run. But if you want a 650 I have a tricked out one with just seasons.