Sign in to follow this  

Experienced CRF450 builders/tuners in Ca?

I'd like to get in touch with a shop in California (Northern if possible) with a lot of experience tuning CRF450s. Anybody know some?

Porting, higher compression pistons, different cams and valves springs, different valves, larger bore piston, different squish area....

Porting, higher compression pistons, different cams and valves springs, different valves, larger bore piston, different squish area....

Can they hookup the killer powerbands too?

I don't know of any builders in Norcal, Twitch. You can send your head Ron Hamp and he can do his magic on it. There are some other shops that build to suit your needs such as Tokyo Mods....FWIW, most of us do our own mods since cams/pistons and other parts are widely available and reasonably priced. HTH

go easy on'em shheeesh...

Coob got you a few... but if you'd like the 'best in the business' (which also means - not cheap)... Precision Concepts does a Honda well.

Or, if you'd like reputable, honest, and not so costly... I hear there's a guy on TT (posting in this thread) who can do it for ya... In fact, he's tuning it to 440 (hint hint)

Basically - to get "a lot of experience"... you need to travel a bit. Hence the reason I'm not talking NorCal.

... you've got all the ammo you need right ^^^ there.

Dust_Devil: thanks for your input. :)

Anyway. I'm building a motor for a Formula SAE car and my team and I are going to be doing all the work. We've fuel injected it, tuned the exhaust (length), and I'm currently flowbench testing an intake system - our competition rules mandate a 20 mm intake restrictor downstream of the throttle body so we're exploring different diffuser/nozzle taper angles, runner lengths, plenums configurations, throttle body bores, port shapes, etc. What we can't realistically accomplish with our testing program is the various changes I mentioned in my earlier posts. We can' afford to buy extra cylinders, pistons, cams, etc and dyno test them all. Engine modeling software has been very inaccurate because it can't model our intake arrangement.

I'm just trying to get in touch with people who have experience working with these engines so I can get some input. I want to get some questions answered such as: how reliable are motors with bigger bores/higher cr/both? What kind of performance gains can be expected with one as opposed to the other (torque curve, max torque, redline, etc.) What octane do people run with higher cr? Are the stock rods ok with engines in a higher state of tune? What kind of EGTs do you normally see? And so on.

Looks like your issue will be the 20mm restrictor plate. I am not positive, but CRF carbs are around 40mm or a hair bigger (i don't keep up on the changes from X to R). Sounds like a cool project. Best of luck. Any pics?

Precision does great work, but this sounds like you should be talking to someone who specializes in supermoto setup. Tokyo Mods is up on what works well. That would be my recommendation. (for what it is worth, probably not much)

A few thoughts:

1. High compression pistons will take a bit of top end off. I have a 13.5:1 and it runs great on 100 race gas. 110LL is best. The OEM 450X crank/rod is sano. Waste of money to change unless you're changing it with a big bore kit.

2. The 450X motor will never rev super fast unless FWW is shaved and a performance cam is used.

3. Bang for the buck with the 20mm restrictor is head work and of course jetting/exhaust/cam IMHO.

Disclaimer for twitch: I don't know shit but I figured I would at least try and maybe help you out a little anyway.

Thanks all - looks like I've got some calls to make tomorrow.

We will be incorporating a "ram" intake setup this year, but with top course speeds under 80mph we may see an extra hp at best.

We have 2 gas options for our series: 100 octane race gas or E85. We've been running 100.

A previous car of ours was turbo (legal) and it was a disaster (weight, complexity, parts count, gremlins) so we're sticking with normal aspiration. We ran a stock (but EFI) 450X last year. Stock because reliability was our primary concern. This year we're going to push the engine a little.

Cubera: I take FWW to be the flywheel? I've had significant acceleration gains in other engines with turning down the fw but I'm hesitant to do it with a 450 single because with only one piston the crank needs to store the inertia to keep the piston going when it's not on the combustion stroke. I'd love to hear more about this.

Motomanx: Is that precision cycle in MO?

Pics of our car: http://fsae.berkeley.edu/news.html

Pics of the build: http://fsae.berkeley.edu/gallery/2008.html

That's awesome, twitch! Looks like major fun! FWW= Flywheel Weight and you're right more is probably better for your application. Seems you might even want a little more weight. Might contact www.steahlyoffroad.com and ask them about it. I'm thinking Wiseco 13.5:1, Hotcams Stage. I'm wondering if James Dean or Eddie aka Burned would have some good info for you on jetting with the restrictor?

No jets??? I told ya' I don't know shit...LOL

Yes the Jets are still in NY. :D

twitchmonitor cool little car. :)