Sign in to follow this  

Make your own loading ramp kit.

I was trying to find the bracket for the top of a 2x8 today I went to Home Depot and Lowes and neither store had this metal bracket. So I went home frustrated and found this kit online. I figured I would share with everyone just in case someone else wanted to make their own ramp. I would like to buy a nice aluminum one but I am tired of everyone steeling my stuff so if this gets stolen I will only be out like $40.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/INSTA-RAMP-MOTORCYCLE-LOADING-RAMP-KIT/GP_2004720_N_111+10212+600021093_10112.jcw

Brian

Here is a cheaper alternative:

I have a PU (Toyota, but most others have the same feature) with a tail gate that allows easy unhook of the tail gate limit straps. When unhooked the tail gate folds down to the step bumper. I purchased a 2x12 from Home Depot and cut it to fit the length of my PU bed.

To load the bikes I place the 2x12 on the tail gate. To unload I place the board on the step bumper and un hook the tail gate limit straps so the tail gate rests on the board.

With this method I don't need the $30 kit and my theft risk is only a 2x12. Loading is easy with a 2x12; I just ride the bike into the PU bed. I haven't figured out a good method to ride the bike backwards down the ramp, maybe next year.

If your bike breaks a 2x12, somethings wrong. 2x12's are pretty strong. If you're worried about it breaking, place your stand under the board for some support.

If your bike breaks a 2x12, somethings wrong. 2x12's are pretty strong. If you're worried about it breaking, place your stand under the board for some support.

Back in the day my friends that rode motos always did the tailgate strap thing. My 2002 1500HD won't do that.

I have an aluminum ramp. One advantage it has is I can unload the moto from the truck on to the ATV trailer behind it without having to disconnect the trailer. A straight board would need to be really long to clear the front rail on the trailer. But, because my metal ramp has a curve to it, it works really well.

I have a long 2x8 board and I bolted 2 pieces of 18 gauge sheet metal (stacked and about 10" long) to one end. Bent the metal to conform to the tale gate so I wouldn't have to worry about the board moving when loading and there is no lip to go over when unloading. Not the prettiest thing, but works like a charm. I think I have $10 in the hole thing.

I have a long 2x8 board and I bolted 2 pieces of 18 gauge sheet metal (stacked and about 10" long) to one end. Bent the metal to conform to the tale gate so I wouldn't have to worry about the board moving when loading and there is no lip to go over when unloading. Not the prettiest thing, but works like a charm. I think I have $10 in the hole thing.

I've used those JCWhitney tops for years and years on my 2x8s. I don't use the bottom pieces, I just cut a 45-degree bevel on the bottom with the power saw. Works perfectly on a low utility trailer, a 97 Dakota, on up to a full-size Chevy 1/2 ton.

Loaded up HEAVY (550+ lbs) street bikes and never had an issue.

Kirk

I grabbed a piece of regular 2x12 i saw somewhere cut it a little shorter and just use it... Free and works like a charm.