Sign in to follow this  

Cramped up hands while riding.

Anybody else get this? My throttle hand is in extreme pain EVERY time I go riding, I usually have to stop every 5 - 10 minutes to relax my right hand.

Hurts like a biatch :)

i usually get this the first 2 times i head onto the track.. learn to grip the bike with your knees a bit more.. or learn to calm down a bit too.. it usually happans to me cause i get to pumped up and dont strech and i forget how to ride pretty much..

I somtimes get an extreme pain in my wrist like somone is stabbing me. Not very often though

After I stopped riding 2 or 3 times a week and then went after a weeks vacation my fingers couldn't bend.

you guys gotta stop doing the death grip - it's mostly from oversqueezing, but often, the handle grips you run can attribute to the problem.

My old grips were part of the problem, likely because they just never felt right, making me feel like I don't have adequate control, making me squeeze harder to compensate. I switched to Progrips and love them - immediately noticed 50% less hand numbing, the grips just felt better for me - your experience may differ - to each his own.

Another thing is to actively THINK about these things while riding - go riding and force yourself to "think" about your grip, think to relax the hands, think to use the knees more, don't just ride - think and ride - many forget that and stop improving.

If you still get some pain, when you take a break, put you hands palm first fingers pointing inside towards each other on your tank and push down basically flexing your fingers the reverse of the grip you've been holding - it really helps.

I wish the diameter of the grip was slightly larger. It feels like I am holding a pencil in my hand. I replaced my grips after 300 miles. But I could not find anything that was the diameter I thought would be comfortable.

The #1 reason for cramps is salt definciency!!! The next is dehydration. Eat a teaspoon of salt(flush it down with a big swig of water, its no so bad) then do the rest of what people are saying. this should stop it by a huge percentage.

I know my hands go numb while riding from holding on too tight but its tough to relax. Personally I think more seat time will cure this. I noticed last time I was at the track, I was trying to settle down and concentrate on form rather than going balls out and I felt a lot smoother. I didn't have anybody timing me but I figure my lap times were a lot lower and suprisingly my hands werent cramped like usual.

I'm not sure if my fingers are actually cramping. For one, I ALWAYS have 1 finger on the clutch and brake lever. That probably attributes to part of it since the bike moves around and stuff. Secondly, it's just my fingers. They hurt after a while and then when I straighten them. But are ya'll saying I need more salt. I'm getting better at gripping the bikes with my knees, about 70% of the time. And I try to keep my upper body from getting tense but I still need to work on that more.

If you're wearing any armor, check the tension of the straps on your elbow pads. (+ deathgrip, +dehydration, +angle of levers and bar....)