Sign in to follow this  

Famous exhaust mod, or aftermarket exhaust?

Hi Everyone

Ok, so I have a stunning 2007 SMR510 parked at home. The smog stuff has all been removed and throttle stop done by the dealer before I collected it. The pipe is standard. It runs like a steam train as you all know. I have been readin all the threads that I can find on exhausts on here and need some help.

I use the bike on the street only, no racing, just as a stress relief tool. :)

I would like a little more on top and have the feeling that the stock pipe is restricting the bike a little at the top end, stopping it from revving out all the way. Am I right in thinking this?

Is the pipe mod (cutting out the restricting tube) going to make a big difference to the amount of noise it makes? Its pretty loud already, but will this make it uncomfortable and attract too many John Laws?

Will it make a difference to performance at all?

Does it make sense to bin the pipe and put on something else? If so, whats the best pipe for the street?

I guess the goal as always is to make more power without making too much more noise.

Thanks in advance.....

The best aftermarket exhaust are worth about 2 to 3 hp on top, no matter what the add says. They do help the midrange, however. I have an 06 450smr and the stock pipe with the tube removed is very close to a full titanium Tc pipe. i have both. The modified stock exhaust is loud, it is amazing how much sound reduction comes from that small length of pipe. The best bang for your buck is a modified stock pipe and a vortex ignition box. This combo will give you more performance than any full exhaust alone. Also shift the thing between 8500 and 9000.The power falls off and the thing will go slower if you spin it out to 10 grand or so. This is not a function of exhaust restriction. A wide open exhaust will not change this.

The stock pipe is pretty good for the noise it makes, you will not beat it performance without quite a bit more noise, no matter what you hear.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Think I will leave the stock pipe alone for a while.. :)