Sign in to follow this  

So I rode a Honda....

I went home on leave this last month and rode my lil bro's 05 cr250r, I have to say I was pretty impressed, from all the reviews and from a lot of posts on here i expected it to have trouble moving from a lack of bottom end. Its basically a stock motor, fatty pipe with a shorty and it was running a little rich. I have to say iv never owned a honda but i might look for one as a second bike the fit and finish and so many little things are just better quality, granted this one has about a grand in suspension so its ride was tops. the egronomics were really comfortable and the seat is great unlike my plywood yz. Of course the brakes were top of the line my only real gripe was the clutch was kinda sudden which made it hard to keep good traction in the tight stuff. I was riding in the middle of nowhere in alaska on a trail usually reserved for big quads and swamp buggies, the water level wasn't bad so it was just nasty trails and mud. the bike was easy to get used to fifteen min. and i could ride pretty confidently. It doesn't tractor like a yz, its clutch wasn't as smooth, but I wouldn't mind having one. My point is that up till now i would have never given one a second glance do to what i had read. Now that i have ridden one i would buy one if i found a good deal. Makes me want to ride a ktm to see the susp and handling are really that much worse. for an all around package i still thing the yz is the best but now i think they are all a lot closer than most say.

This is not to say the Honda is not a good bike. Near the end of 2 stroke development the bikes were all good. A decent dealer who stocks parts can make the difference.

The manufacturers often set up so called "track days" for just this reason. The same reason an auto dealer will do anything to get you to test drive a car. Within the first little while testing anything all is good. It often feels good because it is different. It can take a while to notice the nagging little issues. Its almost like your brain goes out of its way to search for the positive.

• Like 1

This is not to say the Honda is not a good bike. Near the end of 2 stroke development the bikes were all good. A decent dealer who stocks parts can make the difference.

The manufacturers often set up so called "track days" for just this reason. The same reason an auto dealer will do anything to get you to test drive a car. Within the first little while testing anything all is good. It often feels good because it is different. It can take a while to notice the nagging little issues. Its almost like your brain goes out of its way to search for the positive.

+1....

Rode an 06 CR250R and was truly impressed with the stock suspension.. :) Many props to Showa and Honda there.. The motor got me around, but when you're used to a YZ250 power plant, you cant be impressed with the motor.. It just isnt there in comparison.. IMHO :worthy:

I have yet to ride a bike that I like more than mine :D

When I rode my friends '06 CR 250 I gave it back and said it sure makes aloto f noise for nothing compared to my '06 yz 250.

Funny you think the CR's suspenion felt better my friend with his '06 is wicked jealous of my YZ's stuff. He spent $$$$$$$$ on a factory connection setup recently revalve/DLC coating fork n shock. Rides it at richland declares it is better over stock but still thinks my YZ is better.

Well, in defense I was still on my 05 YZ at the time.. So the comparison was not 06 to 06... :)

It was at a race and my YZ lost an O ring in the head gasket during practice.. A guy parked a couple rigs down offered me his spare bike.. Which happened to be a low hour 06 CR250R... Basically brand new.. The only ride I got before race time was a couple practice starts.. I called my suspension tuner and asked for clicker recommendations, set the sag and off I went.. Holeshot, lead the whole 2-1/2 hour GP with it.. Excellent bike, but not my YZ :D

I do remember the clicker settings being questionably soft, but they worked great!!

Rode an 06 CR250R and was truly impressed with the stock suspension.. :) Many props to Showa and Honda there.. The motor got me around, but when you're used to a YZ250 power plant, you cant be impressed with the motor.. It just isnt there in comparison.. IMHO :banghead:

I have yet to ride a bike that I like more than mine :D

hey bikedude, any vids of your 285 yet :worthy::ride:

Well, in defense I was still on my 05 YZ at the time.. So the comparison was not 06 to 06... :)

I have had the opportunity to compare the cr and yz 06 to 06. the honda is made out on these forums like it's a pile of junk... when it is actually a very good bike. The biggest complaint I have with the cr is the same as everyone else... the motor. Other than the power difference in the 2 bikes I can't really honestly say that one is better than the other because both have strong and weak points.

The brakes on the honda have a better feel than those on the yamaha and the honda corners better than anything else i've ridden. I have worked with my suspension some on the yamaha and have it cornering alot better than it did stock, but my brother's honda still does a little better.

The yamaha motor is certainly the biggest plus for it. I also like the way the yamaha feels when standing up (a little more comfortable than the honda). I also like the narrower radiators on the yamaha... it feels like i'm having to do the splits when I get on the cr after riding the yz.

Both of the bikes that i've ridden are completely stock except that the yamaha has been resprung. the bikes were both bought within a week of each other brand new, and are both in the same condition.

I also feel better standing on the yamaha...and sitting down, and turning, and clutching (pre rekluse). I have honda brakes so Im equal there too....

I like the way my gasgas feels over the honda too, because everything is better....brakes, hydrolic clutch..stock 140 rear tire...premium european suspension.

I have had the opportunity to compare the cr and yz 06 to 06. the honda is made out on these forums like it's a pile of junk... when it is actually a very good bike. The biggest complaint I have with the cr is the same as everyone else... the motor. Other than the power difference in the 2 bikes I can't really honestly say that one is better than the other because both have strong and weak points.

The brakes on the honda have a better feel than those on the yamaha and the honda corners better than anything else i've ridden. I have worked with my suspension some on the yamaha and have it cornering alot better than it did stock, but my brother's honda still does a little better.

The yamaha motor is certainly the biggest plus for it. I also like the way the yamaha feels when standing up (a little more comfortable than the honda). I also like the narrower radiators on the yamaha... it feels like i'm having to do the splits when I get on the cr after riding the yz.

Both of the bikes that i've ridden are completely stock except that the yamaha has been resprung. the bikes were both bought within a week of each other brand new, and are both in the same condition.

yeah, i couldn't agree more with what you described, man... other than the handling. i think the '08 YZ250 handles better now than the previous models. it is also stable in high-speeds.

have a trail buddy (unfortunately, his legs are on cement cast at the moment :worthy:) who owns this race-ready '04 CR250. he got it straight from a guy in hawaii. it's equipped with tonnes of modes, with VForce 3 and FMF pipes.... and yet, he still likes my bone-stock YZ better, simply because of the difference in the motor.

i rode it once, tested, and noticed how slowly (a bit delayed, actually) responding from the bottom end. there's a huge difference not only in the power but also in throttle response, or responsiveness of the engine.

apart from that, i really like how the CR250 fits me, better than the taller YZ250.

until you really ride a honda and a yamaha back-to-back, you won't be able to appreciate how yamaha progressed so well with its engine design :):D

If you ride the CR more like a 125 than a 250, the motor will put time on any of the Jap 250's. But if you can't (and I certainly can't), the lack of low-end is a deficit.

If you ride the CR more like a 125 than a 250, the motor will put time on any of the Jap 250's. But if you can't (and I certainly can't), the lack of low-end is a deficit.

I agree with this for sure.. You almost have to "abuse" the CR motor to get it to work.. If you keep it in the power, it'll rip ya around without issue...

But not like a WR285 2t 👍

Muwahahahaha :worthy:

I agree with this for sure.. You almost have to "abuse" the CR motor to get it to work.. If you keep it in the power, it'll rip ya around without issue...

Muwahahahaha :blah:

What?? You egotistical bastard! You hurt my feelings.:busted: I feel personally attacked.:worthy: I don't even own a CR and you've made me feel like any other bike is inadequate. What if I were to consider any other bike?? What? It's inadequate too? I think I'm gonna start a new thread! WR285 vs. the cacophony of all KTM two strokes!

+1....

Muwahahahaha :worthy:

Your beginning to piss me off with that wr285 !!! im gonna have to built one too :busted:

Can you post pic of your beast?

Perosnally I have ridden the 08 KTM 300, 07 450 sx, 07 & 08 KXF250 and 450 and the honda Cr and CRF 250 and 450 and to tell the truth none of them match my helmet:p

Perosnally I have ridden the 08 KTM 300, 07 450 sx, 07 & 08 KXF250 and 450 and the honda Cr and CRF 250 and 450 and to tell the truth none of them match my helmet:p

Now thats some funny chizm right there ... 👍

I think I need to try a CR250 out then, because I don't use the low end on the YZ anyway.

My friend has a '03 service CR 500AF he hardly ever rides it, I'm sure if you asked he'd let ya take it for a spin last year he let devol ride it and he was scared of it.