Sign in to follow this  

Strange Oil Volumes

Hi,

I have just done a service on my 2004 XR400 - dropped the oil and changed the oil filter. It states in the manual that the bike takes 1.8 litres of oil when you change the filter.

I have taken just over 2.4 out of the bike :D what gives ?

Perhaps it has just been over filled :)

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Perhaps it has just been over filled :)

Sounds like the only logical explanation to me. :D

Did you check the oil and think you needed to add extra oil when it was already full? The dipstick isn't very reliable.

I have seen the same thing on my XR250. Book tells you to check the oil with the dipstick after running the bike for at least 5 mins, turn off the bike, remove the dipstick, wipe it, then reinsert it, but not screw it in, then check the reading.

I have found that it reads low after I change the oil. I usually end up pouring in the rest of the 2nd Qt to get the stick to read properly.

Hopefully someone smarter them me can advise us as to which measurement/method is correct.

Thanks...David

drain using front frame plug and side engine plug, replace filter, 2qts oil and no more! To get that accurate reading on dipstick, start bike and idle the bike 2 minutes in the upright postion and not the kickstand but hold it perfectly up, turn off and wait a few seconds "15-30" Check dip it should be in lower have of cross hatch, as oil gets hotter the level will raise on the dip, but repeat the procedure each time.

Thanks for the replies - this is the first time I have dropped the oil on the bike and I haven't put any in before that.

I can only assume that the previous owner has overfilled it.... by 0.4 litres !

Anyway, I was just wondering if anything suspicious could be concealed by overfilling the bike with oil.

Hey guys not to bud in but just wondering what you guys would recommend for a Honda XR250 1998 model oil change oil volume? It states in the manual

At Draining - 1.3 liter (1.37 US qt, 1.14 Imp qt)

At Disassembly - 1.7 liter (1.79 US qt, 1.50 Imp qt)

At Oil Filter Change - 1.4 liter (1.47 US qt, 1.23 Imp qt)

Should i go by the manual info as above as when i do change the oil i usually change the filter with it so 1.4 liters after letting it drain overnight with the front frame plug and side engine plug about right or? What do you guys use as i hear everyone for a XR400 uses 2 qt's when i presume the manual states otherwise. So what would be the recommend/best oil volume when changing the XR250 by fellow thumper talkers? Do you guys recommend a different volume or use the manuals info unlike the XR400?

Thanks (Not meaning to steal this thread)

Matt