Sign in to follow this  

could this be my carb problem w/pic

if pics don't show i will try later using photobucket...they blocked PB at work for some reason..

-my 03 CRF450 started acting up last week..it started popping on acceleration and got worse from there.

-now it is hard to start,..then when it does start it idles high then stalls...when I do finally get going it runs ok until I come to a stop, then stalls.

-both intake and exhaust valves are in spec, no air leaks that i know of, choke and hot start seem ok, PS has been at the same adjustment since I bought the bike new in 03. All jets have been cleaned several times. So I am hoping it is as simple as replacing the float needle. I should have the new part this Friday.

anyway here are some high power pics of float needle/tip and tip of PS.

the 2nd pic shows the tip of Float neelde is damaged/worn. The PS also shows a little burr.

FN1.jpg

FN.jpg

Pilot screw

PS.jpg

The float needle shouldnt cause that problem. It almost sounds like its suddenly lean, which could be the hot start leaking. It doesnt take much. The ding in the end of the fuel screw isnt ideal, but I would think its too dramatic either.

Id go through the whole carb with carb spray and compressed air too. Take the jets out of the mouth of the carb and blast those out too.

The float needle shouldnt cause that problem. It almost sounds like its suddenly lean, which could be the hot start leaking. It doesnt take much. The ding in the end of the fuel screw isnt ideal, but I would think its too dramatic either.

Id go through the whole carb with carb spray and compressed air too. Take the jets out of the mouth of the carb and blast those out too.

it is definitely lean, the plug was almost white. I cleaned everything again and checked hot start and choke. I should get the new needle tonight or Friday.

transworld MX says to add grease to the hot start plunger, is that a good idea?