Sign in to follow this  

05 450 EXC exhaust options?

I picked up an 05 450 EXC, plated, with a complete Sicass dual sport kit. Unfortunately, the previous owner pulled the EXC exhaust and fitted an SX silencer (that term is used loosely here). I need to quiet the bike down...alot, and have a spark arrestor so I can use the bike for woods duty. So the question is, look for a stock EXC muffler? Or is there a better (read quieter) aftermarket alternative. It must be below 94 db A scale. I've searched and seen the advertising, but I trust actual peoples experiences.

I have an 04 450EXC with all stock exhaust and I personally think it is really loud, especially when really getting on it. I have heard good things about the FMF Q2, I am thinking of buying one myself.:)

The stock EXC mufflers up to 06 were pretty quiet at the sound check, but are fairly loud when you get on the gas hard. You have several options at this point.

1. contact PMB about a new muffler end cap to fit your SX can with a spark arrestor and quiet insert. 150.00

2. search flea-bay for a stock 04-06 EXC muffler 50.00

3. search flea-bay for a FMF "Q" muffler 04-07 175.00

DBM

I have a 525xc with the FMF Q2. Looks nice, sounds healthy (in a quieter way) and keeps the DNR happy.

Popped into my dealer yesterday and they had a fmf powercore with the quiet insert sitting on the shelf. They have had it for 2 years and were itchin to get rid of it, I was able to snag it for $190:applause: . It is MUCH quiter then the stock when getting on it but still sounds great. Should keep the neighbors happier:thumbsup: .