Sign in to follow this  

2004/2005 rmz250 won't rev , just backfires

Help....I bought a 2004 Rmz250 with no engine, I pieced together an 05 rmz250 engine, this thing fires right up and idles like a champ, revs ok up to 1/4 throttle then anything over that it , SOUNDS LIKE A REV LIMITER KICKS IN, I have checked the : Timing Marks, had the intake cam re-indexed and welded, exhaust cam is good, loads of compression, new spark plug, checked jetting, disassembled entire carb - cleaned - set up rich, tested stator and crank sensor - resistance ok, reset the timing marks a zillion times, cant figure this one out....Any help would be great...Thanks

i know just the problem! its a suzuki! lol

but seriously, to me it soundsl like a jetting problem but you said you checked that so i dont know

LMAO, you're telling me!!! I ride a CRF450, Stupid ZUK!!! I've over jetted it , tons of fuel, its like a rev limiter comes on or something??

On my 2t pocket bike(laugh all you want), it sounds like a rev limiter when the air screw is adjusted too lean.

I have had the carb completely apart, cleaned beyond clean, and the fuel screw is @ 3 turns out, needle 2nd clip from bottom, 180 main jet- i just cant see there being a fuel problem??

Not sure about the cdi, I think I may have tracked down the problen, when I measured the resistances in the Stators, the Excter and the Charge coils were bang on, but when I tested the running Voltage output the Charge coil made 25V-32V (spec 16V +) , and the Exciter Coil made 8V (spec 59V +).....POS = ZUKI.....Anybody seen this before????

So after WAYYYYYY too many hours, I've finally figured it out, the flywheel and stator set up on an 05 engine is totally different than an 04, I switched up the parts and the bike runs like new....Thank you to everyone that had ideas!!!!

I'm having similar issues with my 04 RMZ250. I thought it was the CDI, so I went ahead and bout a complete electrical set from a parted out 2005 kx250f. I can get the bike started up, but any attempt to turn the throttle and the bike will die. I checked compression (within range), valves and valve clearances (more times than i should say), spark, spark plug gap, carb (even swapped for another carb), air leaks in boots, etc

The bike will also back fire a bit when kicking it over a bunch.

I'm sure you ran through the deck when experiencing your problem, so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Well I just posted and have figured it out. I also have spent WAYYYY too many hours on this problem.

SOLUTION - ONLY THE 2004 RMZ250/KX250F CDI WORKS FOR 2004 MODELS!!! The 2005-2006 units work with eachother, but 2004 is only 2004.

sighhhh...

i have a 04 or 05 rmz 250 , cams havent spun , spark is perfect , plenty of gas , timing marks are now at 13 pins between marks , thats were it idles best but dies if u touch the throttle , it looks perfect at 12 pins but cant seem to get the right info ? the pin count changes from web sight to websight on the 04s & 05s , the 07 and up is 13 , been threw everything in carb ? the tdc mark is were its suposed to be ( was hoping it spun a key) with the compression weight held open all i can get with the throttle open is bout 100lbs ??  any ideas ??????????

This post has been promoted to a wiki Edited by 520exc1