Sign in to follow this  

2004 rmz wont rev just backfires

Help....I bought a 2004 Rmz250 with no engine, I pieced together an 05 rmz250 engine, this thing fires right up and idles like a champ, revs ok up to 1/4 throttle then anything over that it , SOUNDS LIKE A REV LIMITER KICKS IN, I have checked the : Timing Marks, had the intake cam re-indexed and welded, exhaust cam is good, loads of compression, new spark plug, checked jetting, disassembled entire carb - cleaned - set up rich, tested stator and crank sensor - resistance ok, reset the timing marks a zillion times, cant figure this one out....Any help would be great...Thanks

Most parts are the same on a 2004-06 RMZ 250. However, the 04 has many motor and electrical parts with different #'s from the 05's and 06's.

Because you have a 04 electrical system and a 05 motor, that might be your problem. If the CDI is for an 04, it won't work on a 05 motor.

I have a 2004 RMZ250 that will start, run up to about 25%, but then stalls out after.

I've tried everything to get it going, including switching up the CDI. I tried an 05 CDI on my 04 and it just backfired a bunch of time...different map.

I'd make sure the CDI is for an 05, as well at the electrical system.