Sign in to follow this  

Carb transplant: FCR on a 530 VOR

Finally the gods lined up and I got this done:

In a word awesome. The carb was off a parted Honda 450 (FCR39). Thanks to Otto for that. The new tank came via Dan-FCR needs a slightly different tank and I needed one anyway because the recessed nuts for the plastics were becoming a pain to reglue. A new pipe was added also.

I fabricated my own air inlet manifold by bond two air hoses to cope with the different size orifice on the carb and air box. Easy.

Perfect running immediately!. Amazing pickup and middle fine jetting. All of the virtues of this carb, as experienced on my KTM530 are again in evidence.

After a year or so of messing with the Dellorto getting it nearly right (or so I thought) I rode my KTM530 for the first time and decided never to mess with the VOR unless I could get the fuelling better. Well the FCR does this. All early VOR's could do with this swap.

Since i have gone through everything else in the bike what i really have now is a very nice, light and squirty monster spare bike. Thx for the tips on the fork service. Just did it myself in the end with some tips.

I will now be riding this bike a lot more and will do a back to back test of the 530 KTM and VOR for grins.

well done mate id love to try a 530 vor on an fcr, i did an fcr conversion on my en400 vor i fitted a 37mm fcr from a crf 250 and when i got the getting right it was awrsem more power everywere most noticably the bottom to mid range it pulls like a train now. post your jetting specs so other people who want to do the same thing can use them as a starting point.

oh yer and keep us posted on the ktm VOR back to back test.

................................have fun Muddy !.............................................

I will get the year of the 450 because the FCR jetting specs are in the Honda manual!

What I mean to say is i did'nt even open the carb. Otto (a local Vet expert with a line in amusing grumpiness) did'nt even clean it to keep from leaving contaminants inside it.

I put the whole thing together ready to tear it down again but since it works so well why the hell bother! I lashed the Honda's hot start cable to one side and that's the limit to it. I agree, way harder pull from the bottom. Clearly a more efficient device.

Such a waste that these guys were not able to keep rolling along. I have to do a quick tear down of the sterring head for a clean and regrease and then we are ready. I will get Otto roped in as an expert tester as well.

H

The VORs had 2 different gas tanks. One was specifically made to fit the FCR carb, it has a higher bottom section that gave about an inch more clearence for the FCR compared to the Delorto.

If you find your fuel tank riding on the top of your fuel tank, you need to either modify your fuel tank (which is hard to do since it is plastic) or you should R&R the gas tank with the one ment for the FCR carb....

Using the wrong gas tank can lead to problems (like the carb top eventually wearing a hole into the bottom of the fuel tank and causing a leak...and/or fire dange)...

:)

so what your saying is you havnt done any getting to the carb you have just taken it from a standard crf 450 on standard honda jetting. have you made any checks to see if its running weak after all your fitting a carb that was jetted to a motor thats 75cc,s smaller than your vor it may be something to check befour you use it as if it is too too lean it could damage your motor.

have fun Muddy !

I have only a theory at this point. The theory is that the relatively high revving 450 MX is jetted in a way that will suit the 530 with the smaller ratio of induction thingamy to swept volume in a high revving engine but with enduro cam.

I am getting the year of the Honda to check though and when I get back in the country I will do a proper check. It's FCR week because i have got the FCR39 kit for my 950 to fit when i get back too.

Which bike for Caney Creek? VOR or KTM?

I have had some advice on this issue see below. the EN530 runs as described intitially below: no choke and nice and steady even from cold. Advice from Mr "O":

If your 530 runs with-out problem when relatively cold and no choke is used (30-seconds after you started) than you don't have "lean mixture" problem at all, if however is starving for fuel and keep on dying, than yes, it is "lean", than is easy fix with rising the needle in the slide, this will effect mixture up to 75% of your throttle position, wide open will be main jet. I will find out "stock" jetting for that carburetor, as far I know nobody changed any jets in it. This will be somehow afected by type of silencer you using (enduro is more restricted, leaner mixture is required) and type of air box/filter combination is used. I don't think when you go from motocross to enduro version (450 vs.530 not big deal at all) if anything, you might have rich mixture, not lean due to open exhaust system and cam type this carburetor was set-up for. Remember, I have 550 and same size carburetor as yours, the "popping" in your exhaust might be due to valve overlap, you will not believe the banging in my Super Duke exhaust system and it is "normal" w/12" flames as well. No problem at all!

i didnt mean to get you worried as the other guys have said its jetted for a high reving motox bike so it may not be far off but i would just check how its running befour you give it any long hard use and remember you have to ride the bike to feal the carbouration free reving on a standstill wount tell you a lot you have to ride it good luck fcr,ing

............................ have fun Muddy !...............................

That I have been.

BRILLIANT.

This is not the promised test just a mini test performed yesterday based on a half hour session on each by a weak (i.e. physically strong but not very good) intermediate rider (me). That full test will take time to set up (I want another rider, Mr"O" ,who is an expert with a 2002ish 550 Husa also to take part. Just a bit of fun), but this VOR engine is now a monster compared to the KTM 530 which is already very good indeed. Just more powerful throughout and on the top there is an amazing rush as it revs. I do have the enduro cam in the VOR. The uncertainty with the Dellorto in the VOR is gone. Thus far I would say the handling of the VOR is that of a half generation older bike like the KTM 525. The 530 is more like a 250. This maybe has to be something to do with flywheel and gyro since the ergs are very similar. Clutch is serviced on both and VOR is somewhat heavier (both Hydraulic)

Fueling is near identical. Both bikes are superb fun. More when I can.

so now the VOR,s back in your good book,s sounds great i am currently in the proccess of puchasing a fully rebuilt en 530 engine kick only type and after seeing what and fcr has done for my 400 VOR and hearing what it has done for your 530 its one of the first things il do once fitted. just woundering what is the bottom end pull and torque like now you,ve fitted the fcr is it any more tractable and is it still controllable when just riding normal ?

oh yer if you would like an experienced rider to come and test your bike against a husa 650 then you suply the bikes and il come test them for ya !👍

....................................have fun Muddy !.............................

Ha

I am experienced enough in enduros and desert rallys etc just not very good!

I have fun though and am still learning. This is what happens if you start a lad on an AJS Stormer at 13 and he gets put off until he is 29. That Ajay was better used on a gunnery range for target practice.

So, the VOR PULL? Way better in comparison. I am sure that the fuel consumption is up 👍

You know the dellorto used to just take a while to wind up and the engine felt flywheely and unresponsive at lower revs. Asthmatic. Big throttle handfuls were useless. The FCR seems to overcome all of that. I am sure that really great riders can ride around these issues and so could I in a manner that is absolutely not required on the electric 530 KTM. These issues are now gone. The bike feels lighter and smaller. Still more flywheel gyro than the KTM tho'. Torque seems much more linear.

What I am saying now is the instant fuelling response of the KTM is matched by the VOR FCR but with maybe 10-15 % more go at the bottom and unknown but clearly awesome potential on top vs the KTM (more useful revs). Of course my KTM is stock with an Akra. I am absolutely happy with the Katoom and for the woods it is perfect really. The VOR is just more potent. More like a good CR500 with the standard pipe. Did I say linear?. Such fun.

Thanks to Allessandro at VORCLUB I am the happy expectant recipiant of a new right rad and ex works type, unpainted alloy tank.

Once they arrive I will have a late type plastic tank for sale that is new as well as a used earlier tank.

Offers will be invited for those items once the replacements are installed.

Cheers

H