Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone...

split their cases to clean the internal oil screen? If so how dirty was it, and is it something that needs to be done routinely? It's getting close to year end maintenece, and I am trying to fiqure out what if anything needs to be done. I dont have many hours on my bike, but I feel guilty if I dont replace/upgrade anything:devil:

Also, dont hate me, but has anyone actually had the chance to ride one of the NEW RMZ 450s? I had an 06, and loved it, and I am debating if I want to try and pick up a 2009. Any input?? I dont want to go the Suzuki forum, because I know everyone is going to tell me they love it.

You should do this. You don't have to split the cases. Just remove the side cover. Do a search here for "oil screen" and you will get step by step instructions on how to do it.

Is there 2 screens on these bikes?? I know about the one on the left side and all you need is an 8mm socket to get it out and clean it but in the new Dirt Rider in the list of upgrades for the '09s they specifically said you no longer have to split the cases to clean the screen

I think only the 250fs have to have their cases split to get to the screen, not hard to do at all for the 450. My 07 was pretty dirty with that worm the two or threww times Ive checked mine so far, you should definitely check yours, im thinking that ill check mine again this next oil change or so.

Is there 2 screens on these bikes?? I know about the one on the left side and all you need is an 8mm socket to get it out and clean it but in the new Dirt Rider in the list of upgrades for the '09s they specifically said you no longer have to split the cases to clean the screen

you do not have to "split the cases" all you have to do is take the ignition cover off and take the plate with 4 8mm bolts on it off and take the screen out and clean it.....it is definatly worth the 5 mins of work as i've heard it has been linked to bottem end failures the most common one being breaking wristpins and rods.:):D:worthy:

you do not have to "split the cases" all you have to do is take the ignition cover off and take the plate with 4 8mm bolts on it off and take the screen out and clean it.....it is definatly worth the 5 mins of work as i've heard it has been linked to bottem end failures the most common one being breaking wristpins and rods.:):D:worthy:

I clean that on every couple of rides or so. I thought there was also an internal one. One that the engine had to be split to get to. Hell, I hope I am wrong, that would be great