Sign in to follow this  

Tips for loading bike in back of truck?

How the heck do you load your bikes in the back of your truck? I've got a nice tri-fold ramp that I used when I had ATV's. I could ride the ATV up the ramp, but it wasn't fun. Ramp is steep, and I would have to hit it with some speed in order for the back wheels to break over the ramp and into the bed. Most of the time, the front would stand straight up until I pulled the clutch and it would plop down and stop.

I can't ride the bike up there like that, or it's liable to launch me over the cab and onto the hood. I also doubt that I'll be able to push it up there either.

How does everyone else do it (by themselves)?

Thanks!

Andy

+1. I'm not sure if my ramp is 10ft or not, but it's probably close. I use a 5 gallon bucket turned up side down as a step. Sounds like you could use a longer ramp.

I have a 7ish foot ramp and I walk the bike up. I place a stand next to it to step on when getting into the bed.

Before I had a ramp, I just picked the bike up one wheel at a time. It can be done :D

This is with my 4X4 truck :)

I use (and have done for years) two 8-foot 2x8s with the JCWhitney "ramp ends" on 'em.

I walk up one while the bike powers itself (me slipping the clutch) up the other one. No muss no fuss. I stand on the left side of the bike and lean it a bit towards myself as we go.

Kirk

I have a Toyota 2WD PU with a tail gate that allows easy unhook of the tail gate limit straps. When unhooked the tail gate folds down to the step bumper. I purchased a 2x12 from Home Depot and cut it to fit the length of my PU bed.

To load the bikes I place the 2x12 on the tail gate. To unload I place the board on the step bumper and un hook the tail gate limit straps so the tail gate rests on the board.

With this method I don't need the $30 kit and my theft risk is only a 2x12. Loading is easy; I just ride the bike into the PU bed. I haven't figured out a good method to ride the bike backwards down the ramp, maybe next year. LOL.

The two board ramp mentioned earlier is a good idea, especially with the bed height of a 4X4.

Riding it up has the obvious dangers, decide for yourself. Walking the bike up with the throttle, use a strap or something to secure the ramp to the truck. I have seen several instances of the rear wheel shooting the ramp out from under it and now you have a running probably hot bike looking for a place to land. Comr to think of it same thing could happen when you try to ride it up, just haven't personally seen that yet.

I have a bi-fold ramp 4x7 ft ramp. I simply get a 8 - 10 ft start and push the bike up. I usually get the bike 3/4 into the bed with the initial momentum, grab the front brake to hold position, then get my feet positioned on the higher rungs of the ramp for leverage and finish the push.

or for super tall trucks find a way to lower the height to the bed. Ramp positioned higher like on a curb, or rear wheels in a depression or ditch.

I think my ramp is right at 5'. Kinda short... plus, my truck is a Dodge 3/4 Ton 4x4 with off road tires. Makes the ramp incredibly steep.

I doubt that I'll try riding it up, but I might get some other ramps.

Thanks for all the tips!

Andy

Have you tried a bike carrier in the hitch receiver?

I have one of these for my truck (lifted F150 4x4 with 33's). it works great!

B00067MVBS.16._MZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You can get this at Target, Pep Boys, and JC Whitney. I'm sure that other places have it.

When I need to haul more than one bike, I use a bike trailer for that and put the riding gear and stuff in the bed.

I have a 6 foot ramp. I can load and unload on the stock 1997 Dakota on flat ground.

The stock 2002 1500HD is a little too high for me. My son is tall enough that he can step between the ground and the tailgate with one leg while holding both grips. I can not do that.

At home I back the 1500HD into the driveway until the rear wheels are in the gutter. This drops the tailgate enough that I can walk it up. At the local ORV park they have a dock that is about the same height as my truck. Otherwise I jsut ride it to the park. One of the advantages of the dual sport. The park is 10 miles from home.

Otherwise I take my son with me. I have no business riding solo in the dirt.

I have a stock-height Dodge 2500.

I use an 8' ramp and my bike stand. Push it up the ramp, use the stand as a step up in to the truck bed. Thats it.

I have a Toyota 2WD PU with a tail gate that allows easy unhook of the tail gate limit straps. When unhooked the tail gate folds down to the step bumper. I purchased a 2x12 from Home Depot and cut it to fit the length of my PU bed.

To load the bikes I place the 2x12 on the tail gate. To unload I place the board on the step bumper and un hook the tail gate limit straps so the tail gate rests on the board.

With this method I don't need the $30 kit and my theft risk is only a 2x12. Loading is easy; I just ride the bike into the PU bed. I haven't figured out a good method to ride the bike backwards down the ramp, maybe next year. LOL.

The two board ramp mentioned earlier is a good idea, especially with the bed height of a 4X4.

I would not reccommend trying this method unless you have a truck that you don't care about.

Laying the tailgate on the bumper transfers the force to the sheet metal skin, and at minimum is going to scratch it, but more likely it's going to result in dents in the tailgate.

I prefer a 8' 2x12 for loading into a PU, with a "ramp end" (nothing more than a piece of angle iron a straightened out a bit), and a D-ring mounted to the underside which I run a ratchet strap from it to the bumper to prevent it from going anywhere.

I think it would be sweet to install some hydraulic shocks on your pickup. Then you could just lower it and roll your bike up easy. Plus it has a high 'cool factor'. Won't be right unless you have a kicka** stereo system though.

You can just get a board and ride up it.

We had to get my bro to take me to the track and he just lifted it in there by himself. He grabbed the forks and put the front end on the tail gate, then grabbed the back wheel and put the rest of it on. You would need a way to keep it up right though so it wouldn't fall over while you are putting it on.

I think it would be sweet to install some hydraulic shocks on your pickup. Then you could just lower it and roll your bike up easy. Plus it has a high 'cool factor'. Won't be right unless you have a kicka** stereo system though.

Hydro's are really neat....until you get the experience of riding in a vehicle with them.

Imagine riding a hard-tail motorcycle.

The last time I was riding at Metcalf I saw a lowered small truck. There was a box in the bed betwen the wheel wells cvering the rear axle.

I think the tailgate was about 4 inches off the ground. A good scate boarder could have jumped up it.