Sign in to follow this  

Smog Canister Removal Question

I'm removing the smog gear from an '08 450 excr, and see 5 hoses going to the carb. One is the bowl drain at the bottom, two on the left side of the carb that join together in sort of a "T" at the carb body, and two on the right side of the carb that also join in a "T". Do I remove and cap all of these (except the bowl drain which I'll leave vented)?

No. Carb vents are good. If you cap all of those, fuel will not flow well (if at all). Some people leave the "box" that all of those tubes came from attached and just remove the drain plug. I removed the box and just routed them all out the bottom of the bike, zip tied together.

Read this if you haven't already. Great stuff! :)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4305203&postcount=3

You need those upper 4 vents for the carb to work properly, they need to be able to move a bit of air. You could run all 4 down to the swingarm and that would be fine if they never went under water. If they did they would stop venting and could stall the bike. The work around for that is to run two of them to the top of the airbox and the other two down to the swingarm.

Take one from each side, the ones that exit vertically, and run those to the airbox. You can tee them together if you want, that's what I have done. Just snip them and install a tee near the carb, then run one line from there to the top of the airbox.

You are correct on the bowl overflow line, leave that open as well and run down to the swingarm.