Gear shift bend/height

I noticed that when riding my DR with riding boots on the shifter shape and height isn't right for me.

Anybody played with this?

I tried to adjust the height last night but was not successful- seemed either factory, way too low, or way too high.

Also, the shifter is so close to the case- tough with a boot on.

Any experiences, thoughts?

i haven't adjusted mine, i've just gotten used to it, it feels way too low at first, but you should get used to it too, now when i'm riding i grab the end of the lever with the inside sole of my boot and it works great

Yeah....that's my technique too:p

I sure wish it was better than that, but it's the best that I have come up with so far.

When I rotated it 1 spline up, the up shifts were great...........but downshifting was absolutely terrible.

I have thought about redesigning the DR shifter with my MIL-SPEC ANSI Certified BMFH, but haven't gotten to it yet.

HappyRiding !!

?:D

When I first got my DR in March, I bought some off road boots, and quickly discovered I couldn't use them. I too tried to move the shifter lever up one spline and had the same results. I'm still riding with my road boots, even when I go off road. I would like to know if anyone manufactures a good on/off road boot with a low profile in the toe area.

I tried to adjust the height last night but was not successful- seemed either factory, way too low, or way too high.

Also, the shifter is so close to the case- tough with a boot on.

Any experiences, thoughts?

Part of the problem on almost all modern motorcycles is the shift lever peg is too thick with the big rubber cushion. Think about it, the thicker that shift peg is, the more your ankle has to articulate to go from upshift to downshift. Ideally the peg would be flat.

I always remove the thick rubber shifter peg cushion and replace it with a piece of vinyl hose which keeps the metal from marking my boot and results in a much thinner shift peg (hence less ankle articulation needed). I don't know why manufacturers think the shifter peg needs to be cushioned with a big black playskool cushion.

If you want the vinyl to stay put, use a size that is too small. A heat gun will allow you to work it on. When it cools it will be tighter than a witches...oh, this is a family friendly forum...

Happy shifting!

Mike

Brought mine to my dealer (Kawasaki) today. I had them put a 1-tooth smaller c/s sprocket on the DR for this weekends ADV ride in Connecticut.

I asked them to double check the experience I had w/ the shifter just to make sure I was not doing something wrong; They said those were the biggest splines they'd ever seen and that I was sol- short of fabricating, etc.

I'll certainly play with that rubber thing this weekend and see how removing/ changing it feels.

Wonder if Jesse has anything for this?