Sign in to follow this  

More secure seat mount bolt?

I've searched and couldn't find anything, so here goes...

I've got a new TE510 and want to ride it around on the street some, and to work occasionally. I've got a massive chain lock so hopefully nobody walks off with it, but does anyone know of a replacement bolt or another way to keep the seat from being removed with a simple twist of the wrist? I just hate having stuff messed with and the seat bolt is a bit too obvious (tempting?) for me to ignore. I could just see coming out and having no seat, battery or air filter because some kid thought it was fun to see what was under there. The only thing I can think of is to remove the "ring" portion of the stock bolt?

Anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone else has thought of this or come up with a solution.

Paranoidly Yours,

Tommy

How about a cover, that would keep it clean, dry and no one could see the seat screw, or steal your master link clip, or pour something in your oil filler hole, or adjust your shock so your pre-load is all out of whack, just in case you need something to think about in your spare time:eek: :):D Ken

Yes, removing the ring sounds good and then grinding a slot for a screwdriver that you could carry on the key ring. Actually never occurred to me to worry about the seat but now you've got me thinking ...

How about a cover, that would keep it clean, dry and no one could see the seat screw, or steal your master link clip, or pour something in your oil filler hole, or adjust your shock so your pre-load is all out of whack, just in case you need something to think about in your spare time:eek: :):D Ken

I try not to get TOO carried away, but that seat d-ring is just so obvious!

Yes, removing the ring sounds good and then grinding a slot for a screwdriver that you could carry on the key ring. Actually never occurred to me to worry about the seat but now you've got me thinking ...

Yeah, I'm good for that!

If nobody else has done anything about this, I'll figure something out and let you guys know what I find. Probably start by ordering a spare stock bolt in case I screw it up.

Tommy

99.9% of the population has no idea the seat comes off that easy. I'm not too worried about it :)

If nobody else has done anything about this...

I guessing nobody's done anything because it hasn't been an issue for anyone. A person interested in possessing a seat for a bike he doesn't own is probably a person without the intelligence required to operate a dzus fastener.:)

All this talk is getting me paranoid too, I may just start removing the key and GPS when I park it. :) Ken

All this talk is getting me paranoid too, I may just start removing the key and GPS when I park it. Ken

I need a good GPS, where do you park the bike, or maybe I should bring my helmet and just ride away.

All good points. I'd agree with everyone here but I've had three cars, two motorcycles and a scooter stolen over the years. Also a couple of houses and several cars broken into and/or vandalized (thousands of $$ worth each time). I lock EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME and try to secure even the most basic stuff. I guess I've just been unlucky over the years, but if it ain't chained and locked to something I worry about it.

I think something a simple as removing a little piece of wire from a bolt might just give me piece of mind. Of course if someone really wants something more than I do, they'll figure out a way to get it from me. I have theft on my motorcycle insurance policy, just don't like dealing with the hassle of someone snagging something because it's easy to remove.

Just my perspective...

Tommy

I still say one of the cheap covers would be the ticket. They fold up small enough to carry in a large jacket pocket, and I think people are way less likely to mess with something under a cover. You can even get some pretty good (small) alarms with motion detectors these days. And on top of it all good insurance. I have had my share of stuff stolen also, but I refuse to let it get me down. Good luck, :) Ken

I need a good GPS, where do you park the bike, or maybe I should bring my helmet and just ride away.

You don't need to bring a helmet, I usually leave mine sitting on the mirror.:) Ken

All good points. I'd agree with everyone here but I've had three cars, two motorcycles and a scooter stolen over the years. Also a couple of houses and several cars broken into and/or vandalized (thousands of $$ worth each time). I lock EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME and try to secure even the most basic stuff. I guess I've just been unlucky over the years, but if it ain't chained and locked to something I worry about it.

Was that all in Colorado? Denver, Co. Springs, Pueblo? Hopefully you've broken that streak now.

they make dzus with a slot in it. usually made for body work on formula cars, but you will need to carry a dzus screwdriver with you then. std equipt on a indy car, atlanltic car pit crew. or move to a better area. :):D:worthy:

I think something a simple as removing a little piece of wire from a bolt might just give me piece of mind. Of course if someone really wants something more than I do, they'll figure out a way to get it from me. I have theft on my motorcycle insurance policy, just don't like dealing with the hassle of someone snagging something because it's easy to remove.

Just my perspective...

Tommy

Holy smoke, sure your name isnt pikonme? what about just throwin a piece of black gaffer tape over it. cheap simple & assuming most of the deviates work in the dark they wont be able to see jack sh#t...:)

Yeah, it's been a while since anything major was stolen/vandalized. I just don't easily forget a hard-earned lesson (I'm the same way with injuries and protective gear/defensive riding; good thing in my book). Most of the past incidents happened in worse parts of town than I now live in, and in a different state.

With the seat bolt thing, I'm more thinking of bored kids seeing a cool bike (and what a cool bike it is!), seeing something that is obviously removable without tools and wanting to either be mischievous or have a souvenir.

Is the seat fastener a standard dzus? It looked a bit bigger than I remember. It's been a few years since I worked on "real" racecars. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. Like I said, I'll let you guys know when I decide what I'm going to do.

Thanks,

Tommy