Sign in to follow this  

Poor running TTR50

Our TTR50 is getting motor-oil in the air box and then runs like crap. It's not from the air filter definately, it motor-oil.

Anyone have an idea why this happens?

This does not sound right.

Thanks!

I can't say why it happens but I do know its common. My sons TTR 50 will get oil in the airbox if he drops it on the left side. I found that if when I change the oil I fill it to the top line on the dipstick its more likely to happen. I started only filling it to midrange on the dipstick and haven't had any more problems.

Thanks for the reply. This bike has training wheels and we keep it in a room and when the bike comes out of the room, we have to tilt it sideways to the left. So your theory makes some sense.

How can the gearbox oil physically get into the airbox is what I'm wondering.

Ramrod,

I had the same problem last weekend when my kids bike spend a few minutes upside down on the side of the trail. I lost about a cup of oil through the air cleaner. It was a surprise to me also.

I guess it works it's way up the case and out the airbox. Now it's always a dilemma when my kid wrecks. Pickup the bike first or the kid :)

same deal here. After bike falls over, if he doesn't get it picked up immediately, oil gets in there.

I do the same as BASHAKUS. I use about .75 quarts of oil in the machine - still on the dipstick, but it doesn't seem to happen as often like that.

There is a crankcase vent tube that goes from there to the airbox. When it falls over, oil goes in that tube and into the airbox. This happens for everyone.

I ran a really long tube to the front of the bike instead of the airbox. I made it long enough that if you pick it up, the oil will go back in the crankcase. I suppose this works, it was a quick fix.

Derek

Another suggestion, take the carb off and clean it out really well. I know getting that little carb out of there is a pain, but its the only thing that got my son's bike back and running.

Also, when you adjust the carb, it has an AIR screw, NOT A FUEL screw. At least thats how I define it, since its backwards from the big bikes. When you turn that screw IN, it gets richer. OUT gets leaner.

After playing with it, I have ours running better than when we bought it. Don't even need the choke to start anymore.

Cheers

My particular carb and bike were brand new. I cleaned it anyway. I know its an air screw - but in reality, it doesn't matter, I turned it every which way, made no difference on my carb. Again, I have the Mikuni carb tuning manual for it and followed all procedures, looked at all the diagrams. Hopeless.

I don't know, it seems like some people have carbs that work, and some have carbs that cannot be made to work. Like some production problem.