Sign in to follow this  

Is the XR400 the best dual sport?

I have recently sold my dual sported 2000 Husqvarna TE410 and purchased a 1998 XR400 that has been dual sported with a Trick Dual Sport kit. I have not had a chance to ride it much yet though, because of some carb issues (too lean) and I have been waiting on a clutch cable. I have been told by the local cycle shop that the XR400, in dual sport trim is the best dual sport you can get, overall (and they sell KTM's). I know its not the most powerful, nor the most technologically advanced, but there is just something that feels right about a simple, reliable design that just does everything consistently well, without the worries of durability or waiting weeks for parts (Husky anyone?).

So, is the XR400 the best overall dual sport? Whats your opinion?

Nothing is the best.

I would have been better with electric starting.

I can't be hearing all this XR400 talk. My local dealer has a MINT 03 and he's asking $3k for it. O.E. tires...I think they are the ones it came with, no wear on engine case. It just plain doesn't look like it has hardly ever been ridden. It pains me to let it set there any longer. I'm just not sure my 650R wants a little brother.

the best bike is the one you're riding. I have a 98 XR4, sure it's heavy, not scary fast, but it never breaks down, overheats, makes me walk.

I'd say it's one of the best !

It all depends on:

1.) Your definition of a dual-sport bike

a. is a dual-sport a sort of mini-adventure bike

b. is a dual-sport a sort of do-it-all bike

c. is a dual-sport a connect-the-trails-only bike

2.) And what your specific rating criteria is as to

a. performance standards in all categories

b. maintenance requirements

c. longevity in daily rides/miles bf mnx is due/and in overall

expected length of life (in miles or kms)

d. rider protection

e. passenger capability

f. carrying/equipment ability

3.) and there are probably many other areas to rate too, it's all up to you.

HappyRiding !!

:):D

It all depends on:

1.) Your definition of a dual-sport bike

a. is a dual-sport a sort of mini-adventure bike

b. is a dual-sport a sort of do-it-all bike

c. is a dual-sport a connect-the-trails-only bike

2.) And what your specific rating criteria is as to

a. performance standards in all categories

b. maintenance requirements

c. longevity in daily rides/miles bf mnx is due/and in overall

expected length of life (in miles or kms)

d. rider protection

e. passenger capability

f. carrying/equipment ability

3.) and there are probably many other areas to rate too, it's all up to you.

HappyRiding !!

:):D

Tha above is the correct answer. I dont think anyone would argue that the bullet proof motor honda provides in the XR Line up; especially the 400's and 650's IMO. But beyond the maintenance aspect of things I dont think anything compares with KTM. Just for the fact they have a 6 speed transmission which every manufacturer should provide, which enables road driving over 60 mph without having the bike buzz the rpms so much.

You my friend have yourself a great bike. :) Is it the best? Well if you think it is, then it is. To me my XR650R is the best. I couldn't ask for anything more (well maybe electric start, but I'm still 18 years young :ride: ). The "BEST" bike for you isn't for somebody else. But don't ever let anyone tell you that you don't have the best bike. Cause you do. :D

Ride on brother,

Derek

:worthy:

You my friend have yourself a great bike. :) Is it the best? Well if you think it is, then it is. To me my XR650R is the best. I couldn't ask for anything more (well maybe electric start, but I'm still 18 years young :ride: ). The "BEST" bike for you isn't for somebody else. But don't ever let anyone tell you that you don't have the best bike. Cause you do. :D

Ride on brother,

Derek

:worthy:

Such a great outlook, you have. In the eye of the beholder, beauty is in.

yoda.jpg

• Like 1

The only thing I agree about this statement is:

"I don't think anything compares to KTM..."

Yeah, in PRICE :)

Tha above is the correct answer. I dont think anyone would argue that the bullet proof motor honda provides in the XR Line up; especially the 400's and 650's IMO. But beyond the maintenance aspect of things I dont think anything compares with KTM. Just for the fact they have a 6 speed transmission which every manufacturer should provide, which enables road driving over 60 mph without having the bike buzz the rpms so much.

Thanks jdubb75 :) I find it annoying when people think they have the best bike and start bad mouthing the other bikes out there. My advice to the people that think they have the best and nobody else does "SHUT UP AND RIDE". Or at least post something helpful :worthy:

Derek

:D

No, the XR400 is not the best dual sport because it doesn't come street legal from the factory.

You guys on converted dirt-only bikes are living on borrowed time IMHO. Enjoy it while you can...

DRZmike1 just explained my point. And by the way once your bike is plated there isn't a darn thing the state can do to take your plate away. Look it up, California had a lot of strict laws put in to regulate emissions but did the state take the plates away from the owners that had plated bikes before the laws were put in, NO. So about that borrowed time?

Re: Yanni23

I had both an XR600 and a XR400 that I dual sported. The 400 was much better off road, but the 600 made a much better dual sport with a higher road speed than the 400. It weighed at least 30 lbs. less than a XR650L. It also started better than the 400.

i guess it depends what your looking for the xr400 does not do well with constant speeds over 55mph imo but around town its just fine. if you plan on going farther but want a "dirtbike" go with a ktm the 6 speed makes the ktm cruise along nice at the xr's top speed. ive got both a dual sported xr400 and 450exc. one major problem with the xr400 is the stock gearing is 15/45 and it is far to tall for the woods imo but when you drop it down to 14/45 you now have a bike with crap for top speed. while the ktm with woods gearing will pull around 95mph

I used to have a plated XR400, I sold it and bought a DRZ400E which I plated. The magic button made all the difference for me, although there are certain things I liked about the XR400 better.

Dual Sport = A bike that can be ridden in the dirt and on the street.

Now, figure the percentage of each trip/ride you take. The XR4 (I still have my 03/CA plated) great bike with all them goody Gordon modifications, hard to sell something I like so much. Shhh, don’t let the wife know. A little on the heavy side but gets the job done in an 85% trail 15% road ride or even less road. Very capable bike and easy to maintain. Not a factory DS.

Too many Honda only lovers (I was one, all my other bikes are) think that the other bikes (European) are too hard to maintain, or to expensive or what ever. Not true. I have a TE450; the only modification needed is the power up kit that Husqvarna offers. And that’s just to get ride of the 50 state restrictions (mostly Kalifonications rules) This bike is AWSOME. Lighter and comes with all the goodies one could even want right out of the box (of course except no PU kit) lighter than the XR4, “the button, button, button and the kick” 6 speed trans, and parts are not that hard (just a transition problem right now) to find if needed and will do either % in any combination. Oh ya, street legal without the conversion kit.

Believe me, I love my XR4 and am having a hard time thinking I should or have to sell it, but the TE450 is one hell of a great bike also. So the bottom line is this, like others have said “the best dual sport bike is the one you are on” period.

Choice of new: If you live in a state that you can still dual sport ANY bike than there is a larger window of opportunity. If you are stuck with what is on the market, and you want CC’s then take a good look at what is out there sit on it, feel it, kiss it or what ever, then buy it. :)

Just my humble opinion.

Gary