Sign in to follow this  

XR400 vs DRZ400E

Which one? I am only torn between the fact that the DRZ has the button! Who thinks that the XR400 is the better bike?

DRZ is easily the better bike. Just as reliable with more updated technology, and ya it's got the button!

DRZ be better. The XR chassis is very small for big guys. Jimmy Lewis at Dirt Rider adores his XR400 but I don't think he's 6'2" either.

The DRZ is a reliable mount and every bit (if not more) torquey than the XR400. I don't think the XR has a weight savings over the DRZ either.:)

The XR400 is the more durable bike.

DRZ's have side covers that seem to be made out of glass, they need to have covers on the covers installed.

But, yes the button is very nice to have.

The Suzuki used the XR400 as a target when they designed the DRZ. In the end, the DRZ is about 5 pounds heavier, but it has 8 more hp (something like that) and it has "the button" and better suspension.

Also, Honda doesn't make the XR400 anymore, but you can buy a brand new DRZ.

Actually the DR-Z 400e is discontinued. Though I'm sure you can get a leftover somewhere.

For someone with no experience I'd recommend the XR. Why? Mellower power, simpler design, it takes alot to hurt them, and there are no radiators to smash.

For someone tall enough and w/ previous bike experience they should get the DR-Z. With a set of unabiker radiator guards and some case savers they can be as bomb proof as an XR.

I'd get the kick start kit for the DR-Z but thats just me. Since the OP is in CA I'd try to find either an '01 or '02 CA bike or an '01-'06 out of state bike for the FCR carb, higher compression motor, and hotter cams.

I believe '03 was red sticker'd and the '04+ had the shitty carb, lower compression engine, and dumbed down cams from the DR-Z 400s dual sport. The only reason why the '00-'02 are green stickered is because they were grandfathered in.

I've been riding a DRZ400E for the past three years. Here are some things I have learned.

There is a difference between the 400E and the dual sport versions of the DRZ 400. The E has a better carb and larger diameter exhaust (better.) If it's going to be a DRZ, make sure it's an E.

The "button" is the best invention ever in off-road riding! If you are over 40, the "button" should be manditory! (use a trickle charger when not riding and you don't need the kicker kit.)

Where are you going to be riding and at what skill level? Both bikes are HEAVY! I ride sandy single track in Michigan and wish I had bought a lighter two stroke (KTM has the "button" on 2 strokes now.) For casual two track riding, the DRZ is tops. Chasing your friends through the woods aggressively, it's too heavy.

yea i found a nice xr400 but he wants 2500 for it which i can easily get a drz for and its newer...i like hondas but i dont want to over spend on xr.

thanks guys