Sign in to follow this  

hi urgent advice please !! 04 crf 450 r

hi

im going to look at a 04 crf 450 r tonight ! what should i be looking for ?

thanks

andz

hi

thanks

andz

Signs of low hours on an all stock machine.

hi

thanks

andz

Urgent. LOL :D:)

things i look at are. air filter, see if its dirty if it is the seller prolly doesnt take care of the bike, check the chain and sprockets, I wouldnt want to buy a bike just to turn around and have to put a drive train on it. check steering stem bearing feel, if its not smooth when you turn the bars from side to side, then the steering bearings are toast. check the oil black oil = bad. check how many times it takes to kick start it. if its hard to start, the valves are prolly about to go. check the fork seals, he may have cleaned em so bounce the forks then look for oil leaks. same with the shock, look at the brake pads also, put it on a stand and spin the wheels checking for bent brake rotors and wheels, feel the spokes for looseness also. thats about all i can think of, im sure others can add to it.

Check and see if the engine is already warm when you show up. If so, they're probably having trouble starting when cold which usually means it's valve job time.

thanks for all your input guys ! i went to see it turns out it was a rotter but i m going to view a 2005 one on saturday soo see what that one is like ! thanks guys !!

all the above and these: a more anal approach to checking used bike condition

most important question- how many hrs are on the bike????????? Is there a bike log ? Hr meter?

look under the motor, tranny and frame for any oil leakage

check the lower frame rails for dents - from rocklandings and around the steering head for any cracks - around welds

start a cold bike - not a warmed up bike. hard starting means valve time/or valve maint time. Does it smoke at all out of exhaust? Rings or valve seal issues

ask to see the plug removed - plugs tell a story how rich or lean the bike is

check the motor once it is running to see how smooth or how much vibration comes through the handlebars

Check the tranny by riding it and shifting - it is smooth to shift or notchy

Check the clutch for engagement points and any creep. (bike wants to move forward while bike is in gear and clutch is pulled in)

move the wheels side to side for bearing wear

is there any strange noises coming from the forks - ride it and compress the suspension up and down

also was the bike used 100% for mx or trail riding? Trail bikes get more mud and water damage to linkage bearings and wheel bearings/fork seals

linkage bearings that are done/dry will squeak when slightly compressed or lifting the bike

check for shock bearing wear - you can feel this by lifting the bike up from the subframe while the bike is on the ground and feeling slight knocking or too much play

wheel/linkage/shock bearings are easily fixed for less $$$ .....internal motor bearings are expensive to fix

on a side note:

I also suggest you look at the other vehicles the seller owns, even the home they live in....does he/she keep these up, are they clean, is the seller meticulous in keeping his/her property in tip top shape?

Chances are if they are not...then the bike is not maintained correctly either....for example if the sprockets are worn out to nubs....then probably the valves have been ignored.....and the fork oil/shock oil has never been changed....run. If the seller gets annoyed easily by you being a meticulous possible buyer.....run

Unfortunately most of the used 4strokes for sale are problematic time bombs..at the most 10% are maintained correctly. You have to do your best to make sure if you buy a used bike from someone you do not know that you do your due diligence in checking a used bikes condition. Many TTs here buy crap bikes that have issues that I read on every forum.

Bikes with lower hrs are usually in better condition. Racers usually maintain there bikes better than the avg joe schmo, but not always. the perfect seller is the guy who bought a bike put a hr meter on it when new...a rode it a few times before losing interest or falling down and he got hurt...there are lots of 02 -08s with 30hrs or less on them ....be patient you will find one almost like new.....

Good luck :)

• Like 1

thanks for all your input guys ! i went to see it turns out it was a rotter but i m going to view a 2005 one on saturday soo see what that one is like ! thanks guys !!

You really want an 05 or up anyway. The 02-04 was a good bike, but the 05 and up has a better chassis by a decent margin.

yeah i want one for registering on the road here in the uk so i can ride to places that are off road !! are these things fast ?