Sign in to follow this  

Why No Throttle On Startup

why aren't you supposed to use the throttle when kicking the living sh** outta these bikes.After choke,hotstart and a lot of kicking, the only way I can start mine up cold is wrapping out the throttle:excuseme:

While kicking it?

I use a few rotations of the throttle before I start kicking it, but no throttle while kicking.

i think the reason your not supposed to have the throttle open while kicking is because when you open the throttle it opens that metal flap in the carb (mind blank on what its called) which means if the bike back fires, a flame could go back through the carb and light the air filter on fire :)

yea I roll the throttle 2 or 3 times before I kick it over but if cold it usually takes that+choke+hotstart+more throttle as I kick..wow i have never heard of it being able to light the air filter on fire but interesting:excuseme:

You should roll the throttle a couple of times, but not touch it when you kick the bike over. The accelerator pump shoots in some gas when you roll the throttle. The thing is that you shouldn't apply throttle when kicking it over. Anyho, I do it. It works much much better, but only a tid bit, half a mill.

well think about it... as you twist the throttle, ac pump shoots fuel into carb. spark plug sparks and lights the gas, if it pre ignights, that new gas can catch on fire and shoot back to the air filter. the air filter is covered in extremely flammable oil filter oil (should be!) although extremely unlikely, it can happen. i know a CBR600 that it happened to. Thats why some people run those steel scene mesh things in between the air filter and carb.

From What I Understand You Dont To Twist To Much Just Do To The Over Fluding Factor. But One Or Two Twist While Starting It Up Should Be Fine

the bikes do have backfire screens between the filter and the carb. most filter oil is non flammable just for that reason

my bike started doing something similar this summer. i used to always start my bike with the choke on, but i guess because the temp went up, whenever i use the choke it floods the engine. so now i just kick it without using anything when i go to warm it up. after i ride it i use the hot start everytime

Dang, all you do is roll the throttle a few times BEFORE kicking it over. If all is in check and the bike is tuned correctly it will fire up. That back fire screen needs to go, take it out and let the bike breath. Why is your bike hard to start? Because you are flooding it by cranking the throttle open while kicking it. And using the hot start to start it when it is hot should only have to be done once in a while, my bike fires right up each time. If I tip it over and flood it or something I may have to use the hot start but not very often.

4 CRFs and I start them cold all the same way:

choke

two twists of the trottle

kick

Usually first kick does it.

4 CRFs and I start them cold all the same way:

choke

two twists of the trottle

kick

Usually first kick does it.

Exact same way I do it :)

From What I Understand You Dont To Twist To Much Just Do To The Over Fluding Factor. But One Or Two Twist While Starting It Up Should Be Fine

How long does it take you to type, putting a capitol letter at the beginning of every word? Not sure if it is that or if you put too many "to's" in, but it was hard to read your post.

How long does it take you to type, putting a capitol letter at the beginning of every word? Not sure if it is that or if you put too many "to's" in, but it was hard to read your post.

AT LEAST HE IS NOT YELLING AT YOU

I give mine 3 shots, and then a shot while im kicking it over. Start 1st kick. If I leave the throttle alone it takes many kicks. I had a backfire once because I loaded it up with too much gas, just loud thats all.